Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
20-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #11

Re: non groomer

I stole a cat a while ago. Erm, that's maybe not a good way to start this story...

My ex-boyfriend's neighbour had 3 cats. Two were elderly - Rajah was 14ish, the older one was near 20, and the third was young and robust and male (other two were female). The man just put a bowl of food out every day and never let them in. The young cat would beat the older two away from the bowl, and their owner didn't care - so when I saw Rajah becoming worse and worse I decided that if he didn't do something by the time it got colder I would take her home with me and take her to a vet. She got steadily skinnier, and then one day after I'd not seen her for a week I saw her and she had stopped grooming. All of her fur hung in clots and snarls, and she'd lost even more weight.

So I went home and fetched my cat carrier (which I had despite not having a cat at the time - always prepared for one though as most of my cats have been impromptu rescues, though this is the only one I nicked) and we called her inside my ex's house, put her in the box and rang a taxi.

Straight to the vet's, and he said that if she'd been left outside for another week, she probably would've frozen to death

Anyway, my point is... (sorry, lost track there) ...I used to comb her fur out, one small bit at a time. Some of the bigger clots had to be cut out carefully and then had to grow back. It took me about a month to get her fur all sorted (but she had it messed up all over), but it was worth it to do it slowly so she didn't get traumatised by an attempt to do it all at the same time.

If she won't allow you near it, have you checked to see if she has any injuries there, or maybe even a rash of some sort? It might be worth it to take her into a vet and have them check; they'll also be able to give you advice on how to remove it.

That said, I also had a cat who was too fat to wash his back (a neighbour overfed him all the time) and ended up having to hold him down and comb clots out of his back. I'm still surprised he never actually managed to claw me, he did try!

Edit: I didn't steal the 20-year-old because she was being fed by other neighbours and was being cared for by them as well.

Catsey Junior

21-12-2005, 02:45 AM   #12

Snoof - I am so thankful that you rescued that poor baby from that heartless neighbor! Thank you for sharing that story with us **hugs**
Bootsie has been taken care of by my friends at the SPCA and she is looking much better now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
21-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #13

Sorry, I realised after I posted that I revived a pretty old thread. **hugs**

Rajah was very happy and got better, but unfortunately I had to give her up once I'd nursed her back to health. Council flat and I wasn't allowed pets

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
22-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Hope that helps . . . my Darcy wriggles and growls but I just pin him down and get on with combing him *bad mummy*
- sorry - but I have to do that with Amber. As long as she's fairly relaxed in the first place, she's not too bad with her back being done. But the minute I turn her over to try to do her tummy and her little armpits she starts creating.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
- sorry - but I have to do that with Amber. As long as she's fairly relaxed in the first place, she's not too bad with her back being done. But the minute I turn her over to try to do her tummy and her little armpits she starts creating.
Kitty armpits . . . aren't they the cutest?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
22-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #16

I love the extra long bits of fur on the back of the tops of their legs!! Especially Chloe's cos she has longish fur and it looks like she wearing baggy trousers!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
22-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #17

Has anyone ever tried a strimmer?

Seriously, Amber has problems washing where the hair under her chin is so long and keeps getting caught. She's not a show cat, just a moggy. I was wondering whether to get one of these bikini trimmers (I have one to use on me! - and they are narrower than head hair trimmers for all those, er, hard to reach places... like cats' armpits for instance ). The result would be neater than scissors and I'm sure that shearing Amber in the spring will add to her comfort in the summer, even if she does look strange for a week or so because I have to do it in stages! Anyone ever tried one on their cat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #18

LMC - I haven't tried it. But back in 2003 when we had that seriously hot summer - remember it well as I was 9 months preg. in the August I asked the vet if she thought I should get my hairiest persian, Fifi clipped (lion cut). She said she best not coz if a cat isn't used to it the stress caused by clipping is disproportionate to the benefits.

However if you have a calm cat that is unfazed by such activities you could probably give it a shot - but maybe check with the vet first?