Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

26-10-2005, 12:45 AM   #1

non groomer

One of my older kitties has taken to not grooming herself at all!
She only allows me to brush her from her head to about mid back area - the rest of her has become matted and greasy feeling, etc.... she will growl - bite - snip and spit and hiss like a maniac if I try to groom her around her back end

I am thinking I need to take her to the Vet's or groomers and have her professionally done ~ unless someone has any other ideas for me?
Thanks
Deb

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #2

Re: non groomer

Deb - do you know I'm not certain about this one . . . maybe thick gloves and body armour are in order???

Seriously - are you able to distract kitty with some tasty treats whilst you quickly brush the worst of the tangles out? Maybe the wrap-the-cat-in-a-towel trick would work? Kitty would feel secure and you could just expose the bits you need to tidy up and just do it little by little?

Hope that helps . . . my Darcy wriggles and growls but I just pin him down and get on with combing him *bad mummy*

Banned

26-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #3

Put a sock over her head.

Catsey Junior

26-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Put a sock over her head.
Holy cow! I never thought about using this method!

Thanks Yola for your reply as well ~ Bootsie definately has some emotional issues and she is such an emotional wreck these days (ah the joys of a geriatric kitty home) There is NO distracting her at all - tried all the tricks I could think of with no luck.......... but that sock idea....now there is one to try. I will report back if I have any hands left to type with

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #5

Hi

I had a similar problem with my Daisy - please please please get it sorted, I left it and left it, and then ended up with a major problem, Daisy went out one day and because her hair is semi long haired, and matted where she was not grooming, she went to the loo and get "stuff" caught in her fur - the next thing I know she has flies all around her Its called fly strike, and can be fatal! I took her to the vets the same evening and she has to be sedated and all the fur had to be shaved off. Look it up on the internet - its not a pretty sight - so please get the babies fur sorted otherwise other problems could occur.

Good luck
Abbi

Catsey Junior

27-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #6

Deb....

Try this! It may take two people but worth a shot. Get Mike to hold her by the scruff of the neck. Like a momma cat would do. But you will have to hold her firmly. Normally when held that way they will not move. I have seen vets do this with problem animals so that they can tend to them. Maybe put a towel or something on the kitchen table and do it there so you dont have to bend over! That is how I get the tangles out of Sunshine!

Catsey Junior

30-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #7

Thanks Everyone! Barb, as you know Bootsie is sooooooooo neurotic, I am just taking her to the Vets this week and get her done. *sigh* We tried the scruff/nect thing again yesterday and she was just so very afraid, she really stressed out. Drugs are the answer here!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
30-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #8

Hi Piddler

Can I ask how old is your cat? I ask because my cat Oscar won't let you groom around his back legs but that is due to the "pain/discomfort" from Arthritis. I am lucky in the fact he is shorthaired and has always endured being combed have you tried the grooming glove? when you get this sorted at the vets then try the grooming glove it does work.

Karen

Catsey Junior

02-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #9

Kazz - Bootsie snow 13 - that indeed could be some of her issues........
She goes on Friday and hopefully will be just gorgeous when she comes back home

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #10

Good luck Deb!