Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
23-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #1

iPhone

I just popped into the 02 store on my lunchbreak and have 99% made up my mind to get an iPhone. They are hot and a half!

My current contract runs out mid-December so I'd prob get the new phone beginning of December to prevent any period without a phone. 02 have some great tarrifs now, and I think I'll go for the £35 month. You have to pay £99 for the phone initially, but get free wi-fi and 3G at all times, as well as usual 600 mins and unlimited texts.

When I was playing around with the phone I just couldn't believe how awesome it was. It's pretty much like a laptop, with all the functions and features. Only downside I can see is getting used to the keypad (I am a super-fast texter on a normal phone).

Anyone got an iPhone? Positive or negative comments? If you do have any negative experiences let me know before I rush head-on in! I have read up on reviews online, so am thinking about it first, but the only difference between having it and my current phone and contract is the £99 price to pay when you first get. I'm currently on £35 a month anyway, without the free wifi! So the iPhone is actually a better deal.

I'm so frigging excited

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Re: iPhone

My boss got an iphone about a month ago and has still not stopped playing with it!!! It looks cool, but doesnt accept message pics from other phones which is the only downside i can see (unless he cant use his phone properly lol)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
23-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #3

I dont have an iphone but I have a blackberry which I love and it a similar thing. I surf the net on it, send and recieve emails, text and use FB all the time

I have the same package deal from 02.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #4

Wow - I can't believe what 'you young people' ( ) are happy to pay for your connectivity! What a lot of money £420 a year - a holiday! or half a new sofa, or a flat screen TV or a meal out for two every month.
I hate mobiles and the way they make you 'available' at all times. I have one but I put about £40 a year, max, in, on pay as you go - it's for emergencies only and only about 6 people have the number. I don't expect to get calls on it, don't normally make calls on it - I do that on the landline and after 6 and at weekends when it is free.

Bah, Humbug (again - I said that yesterday too)
(Ever had that feeling you are of a different generation?

... but I acknowledge that this is now and things are as they are and mobiles can be extremely useful at times when you're not at home.

Enjoy your iPhone, if you get it, meep - I'd take the holiday instead

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Wow - I can't believe what 'you young people' ( ) are happy to pay for your connectivity! What a lot of money £420 a year - a holiday! or half a new sofa, or a flat screen TV or a meal out for two every month.
Never thought of it like that

Almost a Veteran Member

23-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I hate mobiles and the way they make you 'available' at all times. I have one but I put about £40 a year, max, in, on pay as you go - it's for emergencies only and only about 6 people have the number. I don't expect to get calls on it, don't normally make calls on it - I do that on the landline and after 6 and at weekends when it is free.

Bah, Humbug (again - I said that yesterday too)
(Ever had that feeling you are of a different generation?

... but I acknowledge that this is now and things are as they are and mobiles can be extremely useful at times when you're not at home.

Enjoy your iPhone, if you get it, meep - I'd take the holiday instead

I completely appreciate your thinking on this DM. As a student I was on a tight budget and would also been along the same thinking, that a mobile could be less important than other things to spend the money on. I probably put £10 a month into my mobile as a student. But for 'my generation' mobiles are pretty much an essential to social communication. not that my friends would disown me without one, but I can text me friends, my dad etc. every second day instead of a phone call (although I will still call every 2 weeks), and if you have one important thing you need to say, a quick text gets the message across. It also means you can leave a message for someone via text if they're not picking up their phone. I just find them hugely useful, and as I said, I couldn't imagine not having my phone on me. It makes me feel closer to a lot of my friends who are far away since moving away after Uni, as I can just pick up the phone and in 2 secs have sent a wee "hello! how are you? saw this and thought of you" message and have a quick chat with them. it's nice

Now I'm no longer a student and on a decent wage, the iPhone is a dream for me Literally, I dreamt that I had one last night, hence why I went into the store today! And I admit it's expensive when added together, but I personally would rather spend that on something I can have all year, than £420 on one holiday that would last one week and then be over. I actually prefer to spend my money on objects than holidays, and whilst I love travelling, always think they're so expensive they're a bit of a luxury. Whereas £35 / month for a phone I could enjoy every day seems more logical to me

It really is amazing what you can do with it though. And my job does have me travelling around a bit, so I can still access emails and the internet whereever I am, whilst travelling on the train etc.

It is interesting how different 'generations' see value in different things. I know I'm part of a materialistic generation, but I personally don't buy into a lot of the immediate, consumerist satisfaction a lot of students did at Uni, such as buying a new outfit everytime they went out.

Let's just call the iPhone my indulgence

Almost a Veteran Member

23-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
My boss got an iphone about a month ago and has still not stopped playing with it!!! It looks cool, but doesnt accept message pics from other phones which is the only downside i can see (unless he cant use his phone properly lol)

Thanks for mentioning this Donna. I'll ask the customer rep. at 02 about this.

Almost a Veteran Member

23-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #8

Matron - the package is really great! Whilst DM has pointed out that compared to other things it can be considerd expensive, but in relation to the cost that using the internet on a mobile used to cost, it seems cheap as chips! It's all relative though I guess

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
23-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #9

I love being available at all times

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #10

Sounds like you've made your mind up - enjoy!