Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
08-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #1

YumYum's Only Daughter

Some of you may remember that YumYum had to have an emergency pyo immediately after giving birth to her kittens. Only one survived, which she rejected when she came round after the op. The breeder worked her socks off hand-rearing the kitten, and several times thought she was going to lose her, but she hung on. A couple of weeks ago one her Siamese gave birth to a litter and accepted the kitten and allowed her to suckle. She's just had excema, which is slowly healing, but the really sad news is that she appears to have gone blind. When the breeder told me, I cried for both the kitten, Venus, and for YumYum. Here are some pics of little Venus ................ bless her brave little heart!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 B+W Moggies
08-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #2

Re: YumYum's Only Daughter

What a sweety pie, what happens to her if she is blind? How hard are blind cats to look after?

Catsey Junior

09-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #3

Apparently she is adapting well, and obviously the breeder will be keeping her. They're not totally sure that she is blind in both eyes ~ there's a possibility that she may still have partial sight in one of them. All being well, I will be going to visit her on the 20 Sept.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
09-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #4

Awww thank you for sharing Yum Yum's and Venus's story....
I have a blind cat, due to him developing PRA. He has now been completely blind for over a year, he has just turned 9 years old. He has always been an indoor cat, he jumps about the furniture still, and knows his way around the house perfectly. He never breaks or bumps into anything unlike my other cat with full sight
He just got on with it, it didn't stress him at all. He is still the happy, playful cat he has always been....
As long as he is kept as an indoor only cat, there isn't a problem...
Loving vibes to Venus...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #5

My friends cat is 19 and just gone blind and is coping well. Another friends cat is 18 and recently lost the sight in one eye and is back to his bully self as well. Animals tend too adapt better than humans

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #6

Awww, bless the little one. Blind cats adapt amazingly well; Misty lost her sight when she was about 18, and she coped beautifully; you woulds never have known she was blind.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #7

Sage Cat - that's such a sad story and Venus is such a pretty little kitten. I hope she has some residual sight remaining and will continue to have a long and happy life with the breeder in her home. Very unusual colour isn't she? Is it cinnamon?

Catsey Junior

09-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #8

Thank you guys for your comments. I just feel so sad for little Venus, and YumYum for the daughter she never knew, (I know that sounds daft as she's a cat and doesn't have human emotions) but your positive comments on how blind cats adapt have made me feel better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #9

My cat lost an eye at a year old and he was still as naughty as ever lol. They do adapt really well.

She's a cutie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #10

What a battle little Venus has had to survive this far. I do so hope that she adapts well and lives a happy and full life with her breeder. It's odd, isn't it, but I feel sorry for YumYum too, although as you say, obviously she has no such feelings. Please take my good wishes to little Venus when you visit.