Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-04-2006, 03:19 AM   #11

Re: Are there a lot of readers on here??

Have to add just a couple of more: Ellis Peters, the Brother Cadfael series (they had adaptations of this on TV. wouldn't watch; hate how they ruin a book like this!); Aaron Elkins (forensic anthropologist, very witty), Kathy Reichs, sort of like Cornwell, only, I think, better; any of Beverly Nichols cat/gardening books. Some of these authors may not be available in UK; just throwing out some more suggestions. Boy, did you push my button asking aout books!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
02-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #12

Cheers for the tips, will pm you now. I made the mistake of taking the Isle of Dogs as a holiday book!! I enjoyed Da Vinci Code, didn't rate Angels and Demons though, and have another of his to read.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
02-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
I am struggling to choose books from the library. There are just too many to narrow it down to 4 or 5, and some of the best ones are in hardback, and I really don't like hardbacks. Will be happy when my local library opens again at the end of the month, there were about 3 shelves of books I wanted to get through. So, am looking for some suggestions. I prefer crime/thriller/mystery, and like true life crime/murder. Am currently reading a Jonathan Kellerman, and have two Jeffrey Deaver books, an Agatha Christie and a Richard Laymon, plus a PD James and Dan Brown that my neighbour has lent me. I think I want to try some new authors as well, I want to try Faye Kellerman, am a bit bored with Stephen King, although I do want to read The Cell, not sure about the Dark Tower series though. I am also a bit bored with Patricia Cornwell (and think I have read the majority, if not all of them).
Try Kathy Reichs, she has written a few now and I find them a really good read. Also the Sue Grafton ones are good (female detective) and For a laugh I like Janet Evanovich.
If you like Dan Brown you will also like Matthew Reilly...

Almost a Veteran Member

02-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #14

I have read a Kathy Reichs book, but don't recall seeing any at the library. Keep debating with Sue Grafton, will add her on to the list. Never heard of Matthew Reilly, another one added onto the list.

Catsey Veteran

02-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #15

I read quite a bit, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Jeffrey Deaver, Ken Follet,. I also love reading Shaun Hutson, but I think you have to have a strong stomach for his works as they can be extremely graphic.

Just purchase a book by Lisa Gardner, never read her books before.

Also if you want a funny read Sophia Kinsell's shopaholic books are hilarous!!

Almost a Veteran Member

02-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #16

Ooh, some of my favourite authors there. Not read any Ken Follett though. I noticed that with Shaun Hutson. dont' tend to go for funny reads!!

Catsey Veteran

02-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #17

Most of Ken Follets books are nice and easy to read and normally have a twist in their tail

One of the best books I have ever read was called "the magic cottage" by James Herbert, another excellent book was called "savages" by Shirley Conran

Almost a Veteran Member

02-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #18

Wel, I'd put him on the list, but PEbbles has other plans!! I like the Magic Cottage, am I right in thinking there were two books with those characters? Again, can't get up to check!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-04-2006, 02:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
Ooh, some of my favourite authors there. Not read any Ken Follett though. I noticed that with Shaun Hutson. dont' tend to go for funny reads!!
Oh, how could I have forgotten to mention Ken Follet...Pillars of the Earth is one of the best books I've ever read; also Rutherfurd (Sarum, London) and Elizabeth Goudge (dated, but still good reads) Green Dolphin Street. Also James Clavell (Taipan).

Almost a Veteran Member

03-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #20

Well, I have read 2 books today with workmen being in and having no comp access (a Jeffrey Deaver that I didn't enjoy, and an Agatha Christie that was good, but over too quickly), so am going to pop to the library when they have gone, as I only have 4 to last me the rest of the week!! Have my list of authors/titles to try, so will see what I can get - have to limit myself to 4 though.