Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
01-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #1

Are there a lot of readers on here??

I am struggling to choose books from the library. There are just too many to narrow it down to 4 or 5, and some of the best ones are in hardback, and I really don't like hardbacks. Will be happy when my local library opens again at the end of the month, there were about 3 shelves of books I wanted to get through. So, am looking for some suggestions. I prefer crime/thriller/mystery, and like true life crime/murder. Am currently reading a Jonathan Kellerman, and have two Jeffrey Deaver books, an Agatha Christie and a Richard Laymon, plus a PD James and Dan Brown that my neighbour has lent me. I think I want to try some new authors as well, I want to try Faye Kellerman, am a bit bored with Stephen King, although I do want to read The Cell, not sure about the Dark Tower series though. I am also a bit bored with Patricia Cornwell (and think I have read the majority, if not all of them).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #2

Re: Are there a lot of readers on here??

Don't think I've ever read a book from start to finish since I left school.
No time for reading.

Almost a Veteran Member

01-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #3

I can't imagine not reading, I would go potty!! I always read more when I have new fosters, as they are isolated and I have to go and sit with them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #4

I don't read fiction books only non fiction

Almost a Veteran Member

01-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #5

What kind of non fiction?

Catsey Veteran

01-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
What kind of non fiction?
Dog breeding, dog training and puppy raising mainly I do read about cats and horses but have to say most of what I read is doggy

Almost a Veteran Member

01-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #7

Not my idea of non fiction then!!!

Catsey Veteran

01-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #8

I have recently been reading about homeopathic remedies. I am also interested in anything science wise, biology, physics etc..

Catsey Veteran

01-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Not my idea of non fiction then!!!
lol no not most people's idea of a good read BT

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
I am struggling to choose books from the library. There are just too many to narrow it down to 4 or 5, and some of the best ones are in hardback, and I really don't like hardbacks. Will be happy when my local library opens again at the end of the month, there were about 3 shelves of books I wanted to get through. So, am looking for some suggestions. I prefer crime/thriller/mystery, and like true life crime/murder. Am currently reading a Jonathan Kellerman, and have two Jeffrey Deaver books, an Agatha Christie and a Richard Laymon, plus a PD James and Dan Brown that my neighbour has lent me. I think I want to try some new authors as well, I want to try Faye Kellerman, am a bit bored with Stephen King, although I do want to read The Cell, not sure about the Dark Tower series though. I am also a bit bored with Patricia Cornwell (and think I have read the majority, if not all of them).
I'm an avid reader, & in the same categories you like. Do read the Cell!! Faye Kellerman's series is excellent; I think her characters are better than Jonathan's. I adore all of Ruth Rendell's (alter ego Barbara Vine), PD James, Minette Walters. I went off Cornwell after that incredibly bad "Isle of Dogs"!!! John Saul is good if you like sort of creepy horror. Sujata Massey writes good stories with a Japanese-American heroine, & the settings are excellent, Have you read any of Elizabeth Peters Egyptian series about Amelia Peabody? Start at the beginning if you can; characters age! They are witty! I read Da Vinci Code, wasn't all that impressed; The Labyrinth is better in that genre, I feel. Margaret Frazer is good, also Catherine Aird....I have left out quite a few of my favorite authors, but this post is getting long: hope some of these suggestions will lead you to some good reading!! Please PM me anytime to talk about books...would enjoy it!!