Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
28-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #1

Tick question

I was wondering if anyone can help. I removed a tick from buster chin last thursday . I got it with tweezer and twisted anticlockwise as I think you are supposed to. But now Buster has a tiny spot like lump where the tick was and it has got me wondering if I left the head in him. I think I got all of the tick but can't say I was to keen of closely inspecting it as I was a bit grossed out by it . Anyway does anyone know how to tell if the head has been left in him. If is that a normal way for the wound to heal.

It doesn't look that bad just a little sort of spot like lump. I am not sure if I should go to the vets or am I just being parinoid. But I know if I hvae left then head in him it could go septic

Hope someone can help.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Re: Tick question

Found this link that might reassure you, Tilly.....
http://www.placervillevet.com/tickhead.htm

Almost a Veteran Member

29-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks I leave it and just make sure it doesn't get infected.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
29-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #4

It sounds okay to me, they do leave a small mark, just keep an eye on it.

Almost a Veteran Member

29-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #5

i had a chat to the vet and she says it is OK as long as it doesn't get infected
Sally

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 different kinds
17-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #6

hi i'm new here and just came across this thread,
i have a tom cat called William and i removed a tick off the top of his head about 4 weeks ago, and he has still got a little red lump and i wondered the same thing....im still unsure whether the ticks head is in there!!!

i read in my cat book that if the head is still in there it will come out on its own....but im still waiting lol
it also says not to twist when when you pull...but to pluck it out quick and then put it in alcohol to kill it!

Almost a Veteran Member

17-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #7

I rang my vet and they said as long as it wasn't pussy or infected then it was fine. It took quite a few day to clear though. It has cleared up now adn so has another tick wound he had on his shoulder.
I was told to twist the tick as their mouth parts are like a corkscrew so you have to twist the tick anitclockwise to make sure all the head bit comes out. I think as long as there is no puss and it doesn't look infected then it is fine. If you are worried you could try bathing it in warm salt water or you could call your vet to see what they say.
Hope William is OK soon. and welcome to catsey
Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #8

The little tick remover instruments from the vet are good and are nice and cheap.