Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
07-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Cat Care on a Budget

I'm looking to find the best way to look after my cat's health at the lowest cost.

Right now, she doesn't have pet insurance, nor is she registered with a vet (and before cat owners begin to get worried for my cat, I should say that the cat has never gone without meals and eats before I do. I think the local supermarket thinks I eat cat food; it's what I mostly buy from them!)

Back to the cat care though. It is my biggest worry. A pet owner without pet insurance is a bad owner, in my book.

My question is where do I find the cheapest insurance for my cat.

If that's not cheap enough, what services can I expect from the RSPCA?

Thanks in advance.

Cats owned: D.S.H
07-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

Re: Cat Care on a Budget

Pet insurance is an expensive business for the person who is picking it. But as i work in a veterinary practices we do always recomend pet plan. Yes i know they are quite expensive but unlike other insurers they will cover for more illnesess and for your more mature pet.

Cats owned: D.S.H
07-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #3

Oooh or you could open a saving account and put an amount of money that you can afford in every month.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #4

Homebase is quite cheap, i picked their leaflet up about few weeks ago

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #5

insurance company's require the info that your cat has had her original vaccines and most of them require you to get her yearly boosters and dental checks. was your cat a stray? you would need to have this done if she hasnt or else your claim may be rejected if they find out your cat hasnt. i would defo register her with a vet tho, it doesnt cost anything to register. if you are on a low income or benefits you could apply for pdsa aid.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
09-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #6

My cats are insured with More Than and I find them to be as good as Petplan. They were with PP until the prices rocketed so much I just couldnt justify the expense! However, I think that as long as you have some money put aside for unexpected vet costs, then pet insurance isn't necessarily a necessity.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Both Kizzy and Pip are with Pet Plan. I've just had a pay out for when Pip was hospitalised over Easter with a urinary blockage. He was in the hospital from Good Friday until the following Tuesday, so 4 nights. I was glad he was insured.

Monty is with a new company called Vet Sure, recommended by my vet who used to recommend Pet Plan. Not sure why they changed their recommendation ..... ?

As Kim says, if you are able to put away a sum each month that's fine unless of course you have to claim before you've built up a cushion.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
09-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #8

We're with argos (about £4 a month for Dylan currently). Compare that with several thousands of pounds if your cat has an accident or gets sick, you'll need to register her with a vet as well - vets don't charge for you to register with them.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
09-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #9

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Yes, luckily enough, I do have some money put aside. I do like to be careful with it, and like all of you, if my cat got ill, I'd have no hesitation in taking her to a vet.

However, as mentioned, one off payments for vet fees are very costly. I would probably be safer using pet insurance.

I've been looking at some pet insurance companies, and so far the lowest monthly rate is £11.78 (I think it is quite a high price because I live in a city area). However, I don't intend to pay more than is necessary. Next thing I'll do is have a look at More Than (thanks Kim).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
09-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #10

Have you looked at this site Gladys?
http://www.gocompare.com/pet-insurance/