Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #11

Re: Advice needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
She'd really have difficulty looking after the house she's living in at the moment. I'm doing all I can for her (when I'm not working)

My brother will be house sharing when he's found somewhere. (brother's 23, I'll be 21 tomorrow)

Living with my mum wouldn't be a serious no-no though.
Still undecided as to what to do or where to go.

I help out the neighbours a lot as well, there's three of them who I do a fair bit for as well.
What makes the house so difficult for her to manage...stairs/size/location (ie on hill slope etc and difficul to get out) age of house (ie lots of repairs needed)?

Does you Nan own the house? or council if council is it possible that she could exchange to a bungalow or smaller property.....councils normaly bend over backwards to regain family housing stock

So in effect your brother will be moving on shortly so with that said will it be easier with you and your Nan?

And sorry although you help neighbours which is very nice and thoughtful remember your loyalties lie with your Nan......................

If there were just you and your Nan could you learn to live as housemates ie adults as apposed to Nan and grandchild? although I suspect you think you already do........I doubt it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
13-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz

Try not to worry about changing Dylans vet and information. We can talk you through that.
How do you update the microchip people? When we adopted Beauty and Dylan the charity updated the microchip automatically

It's a bungalow with stairs she's in. Arthritis is really getting to her so she can't manage to go upstairs. She owns the property and she wants to remain in it.

If I do move, Granny says I could always move back if it doesn't work out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #13

Kazz has given some realy good suggestions there RCR.
Sounds to me like your Grandma may struggle without you but of course i don't realy know your situation .
I hope you have a good 21 st birthday tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #14

Also if we were to move out, the bungalow is on an end terrace so it would mean that if anything were to happen and Granny was to ring her lifeline help might get here too late if no one was living with her.

There's also one family member who's trying to "organise" us all which complicates matters.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Shelley and thanks for the advice so far all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
14-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #15

Hope things work out re. your living arrangements RCR, in the meantime hope it doesn't take the shine off your birthday
We can give you all the practical help re cat care here on the forum of course.

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #16

Well, the long and short of it is that Granny will be moving into other accommodation helped by other family members, my brother's moving into a flat share (or something) and Dylan and I will be living with my mum for a while.

Mum's not got any other pets, but they do have furry visitors in the garden.

What decided me was the fact that younger brother's been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome (it's something to do with the brain I think). He's 10 but got the mentality of a 5 year old.

Link for those like me who don't know what aspergers is: http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-gu...rgers-syndrome

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #17

Oh RCR, very sorry to read about your younger brother being diagnosed with Aspergers; so difficult for him and for the family. I am familiar with it from reading. I do hope the arrangements will work out well for you and your brother and Granny. Will you be taking the computer with you; you mentioned something about not being on as much ...????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #18

Wow your family are good it would have taken mine months to make a descision.
Hope it all works out for you. Take care.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
15-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #19

Seems that things have been taken in hand and your Gran's needs have been met now. So sorry to hear that your younger brother has Aspergers, will you be living with him? It is hard to live with someone with learning difficulties but also can be rewarding to see them take an interest in life and grow. My niece is 21 and has learning difficulties but has a job in ASDA and a good social life. She went to a special school and got great support from her teachers.

I hope living with your mum enables you to have your freedom too, keep your friendships going they are so important. Will you still volunteer for CP when you move? It will be a great link to old friends. Good Luck x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #20

I'm glad things are being resolved RCR and hope everyone will be happy in their respective places.
Sorry to hear about your younger brothers diagnosis, and hope you as a family get all the help you need with him. Sometimes it can be easier once you have a diagnosis to understand a persons behaviour. I have worked with several youngsters with aspergers.