Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #11

Re: bird flu apparently causing problems already

I cant believe that this is true??????????? If in the event bird flu causes problems here then the best thing will be to keep our kitties indoors. Not dump them on someone else to deal with in the event they MIGHT get an illness due to the birds.

Catsey Junior

20-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I cant believe that this is true???????????
Madness, isn't it ?

I've now had a chat with the chap who looks after rescues and he's been told not to take in any more cats as they have no more resources. They have a duty to rehome any CPL cats they previously placed, but strays and cats belonging to other people who want to rehome them for whatever reason are on hold for now at my local branch (Maidenhead, Slough and district).

I had a stray who needed veterinary attention a few weeks back. He's still in the vet hospital because they don't have a pen for him yet. Seems like chances of him finding a loving home are pretty slim at the moment

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #13

People can be so completely irrational at times, it almost makes you despair about the hman race!!!It isn't even there yet, it hasn't mutated to the deadlier form that spreads person-to-person....and if the cat is kept indoors it has about as much chance of catching bird flu as it does in catching an elephant in the living room!!!! Good God, people!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #14

Well - although our area co-ordinator is checking with head office, she hasn't heard of any official 'policy' by Cats Protection on how to deal with the whole bird flu issue and the risk of crossing species. She is checking it out with them however. I think I am going to write something as a press release anyway and get it into the local media - I have to do something to counter this silliness

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #15

Have just received email with attachment containing the text below. This is the official Cats Protection line on Bird Flu. Wise words it seems to me . . .

Avian Influenza (‘bird flu’)

In light of current media coverage related to the death of a domestic cat in Germany from bird ‘flu, Cats Protection is urging pet owners not to panic about their pets’ health, or their own health.

Beth Skillings, Head of Veterinary Services for the charity, agrees with both leading health protection professionals and the President of the British Veterinary Association, that the risks to cats, and humans, from the H5N1 virus is small.

The charity suggests pet owners keep things in perspective. There is no need for owners to rehome their cats, or have them euthanized, because of fears of infection with bird ‘flu. Furthermore, there is no need to keep cats indoors.

The risk of cats catching bird ‘flu is small – it mainly happens through felines eating infected poultry – but let’s remind ourselves that the H5N1 has not been found in this country. And even in areas of the world where bird ‘flu is present, there has not been large numbers of deaths in mammals from the disease.

There have been no recorded cases of cat to human infection from the virus. Cats do not have their own influenza virus (unlike humans or poultry) so the concern of cats acting as a host in which the virus changes to become transmissible between people is extremely unlikely. Furthermore, there is limited evidence of cat to cat transmission of the virus in a non-laboratory environment.

The charity suggests that concerned owners could do the following:
  • Try and keep their cats away from wild waterfowl and poultry.
  • in line with DEFRA guidelines, use rubber gloves to safely dispose of any wild birds and poultry carcasses that their cat presents in a sealed bag in household rubbish outside
  • Don’t feed raw meat or poultry to cats, not only because of avian flu, but because of the risk of salmonella and other infections.
  • In the case of predating cats, try and keep pets in at dawn and dusk to lessen predatory activity.
  • Observe normal hygiene practices when handling cat or bird faeces.

Please note that no vaccine is licensed to prevent bird ‘flu in cats.

Spring migration of waterfowl heading east will start soon. Infected waterfowl will then hopefully carry the virus in the opposite direction to the UK. In the meantime, any unusual deaths of waterfowl or waders should be reported to the DEFRA Helpline (08459 335577).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
21-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #16

Interesting reading Yola and sensible, level headed advice!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #17

Very interesting Yola...thanks for posting!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
21-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #18

very interesting reading. I still cant beleive people want thier cats pts or re-homed cos of this, total madness!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #19

Thanks Yola. That is very sensible and clear advice. Hope everyone takes note and doesnt use this as an excuse to abandon their pet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #20

That was an interesting & informative article; problem is, the people who will read it probably aren't the ones who would abandon/euthanize their pets. It needs to be gotten out somehow in the media to people who aren't well informed...???