Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
26-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #11

Re: Might be trapping feral cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
I hope so. I know she has lived outside all this time, and has been out in similar weather, but I know about her now - same with the two males that will prob be put back, although that depends on how they are when they are trapped. Newborn kittens tend to struggle to survive outside though don't they? I am hoping this female is neutered, which would explain why there has been no kittens - or that the males are neutered.
Well you would think newborns would struggle to survive, but they always survive. (well I'm sure some die, but all the ones I've come across have been fine) I had a litter of 4 that were 5 weeks old came to me in December. How they survived in that cold & wet weather . But they did & they usually do. I think their mom just ensured they were warm & cosy & well cared for.
I think you are doing the right thing to trap & neuter her, it sounds like she is friendly, so every chance she could be rehomed. Then you'll have to see how the boys respond to you. If they are friendly - they too may be able to be homed. But remember if you are going to put them back - ask the vet to tip their ears so that if any other rescue people spot them in the future they will know they have been neutered. (even for the boys, although you can see they've been done, if they are not easy to catch, it means people can see clearly without having to trap them that they are neutered)

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
26-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #12

I am hoping she tolerates living in a house - if not, once I have established whether she is neutered, will I have to put her back? I will also need some help with names please - I have only had two unnamed cats, and my neighbour picked both. I am so unimaginative though that she would end up being called Sooty with being pure black!! I hope that the rescue will help with the trapping and then let me see how they are, we do have limited space though, and kitten season is nearly here. I will make sure their ears are tipped - doubt any other rescue people would come near, but just to be on the safe side.

Almost a Veteran Member

26-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #13

Well, she is here. She was very easy to catch and get in the carrier - thought we were going to have to leave the carrier in the car, coax her in the caravan and then get her in, but she allowed herself to be picked up and put in. She was wild when she was first seen though, so not sure about her background. Will make a vets app this week to see how old they think etc.
I have learnt a very valuable lesson though - don't put the opening of a carrier facing you when you don't know the cat - my arm and hand aren't too bad as I had put two pairs of gloves on and two jackets on, but I only had one pair of trousers on, so have some lovely puncture marks on my knee. Fortunately I am used to scratches, so have antiseptic disenfact in, and had a tetanus less than 4 years ago.
Will post pics later, am letting her get used to the room and have her tea first.

Almost a Veteran Member

28-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #14

Pics as promised. She is doing really well, as you can see from teh second pic, nothing like a feral. Still waiting for the form from CP to get the boys sorted though.

She is seeing the vet at 3.50 to get her age guessed, checked for a chip and a general checkover - she does have a bald patch on her belly, and I would be surprised if she doesn't have worms.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
02-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #15

She is very pretty well done you for helping her. Was gonna suggest checking for a microchip.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
02-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #16

Well done you!

She looks lovely! How did the vet's visit go?

Almost a Veteran Member

03-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #17

Thought I had posted - the vet thinks she is 2-2 1/2. No sign of fleas, her teeth are good (one is broken), her bald patch is prob a skin infection, so she is on antibiotics for 5 days, the vet would guess she had been neutered as she is a decent weight (3.79kg), and she has no signs of ever having kittens. She was so affectionate at the vets, she nearly fell off the table. She got a worming tablet too. I got her playing on Wed night, and she knows there are other cats in the house and does want to come and investigate. I do keep fosters isolated for the first 2 weeks though, just in case they have cat flu or anything.