Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
05-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

Update on the kittens bellies

So my vet left a message for me this afternoon teling me the results had came back on the kittens feacal(sp?) tests. he said that there is no sign of any sort of bacteria or parasites or well anything! so as you can imagine im hugely relieved but now im completely clueless as to what is causing the kittens problems

he mentioned ringing back and discussing their diet later on so will let you know what is said. the kittens are on burns chicken and brown rice adult food at the moment, but when they first came to us they were on whiskas kitten food and their bellies have been the same on both foods im worried about changing their diet again incase it upsets them even more but then what choice do i have?

anyone have any idea what sort of food i could try them on? i was thinking of getting the burns kitten food incase the adult one was just too much for their bellies. dont really want them going on any hills foods or anything like that as i dont like using anything that has been tested on animals. guess il have to wait and see what the vet suggests!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #2

Re: Update on the kittens bellies

Ask your vet about giving them Canikur. Not really a medicine, more a means of giving them some 'glue' to stop the constant diarrhoea and give their guts time to recover from constant hurry, hurry, hurry.
Just something to break the vicious circle.
Good luck

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #3

I've not really been keeping up with your previous threads but has your vet tried giving them something such as Promax / Pro Kolin. Basically speaking they are a form of pro-biotic which also coats, protects and soothes the gut and so helps to stop diarrhea.

Other than that I've not really got any suggestions except dietry requirements but you would really need to speak to your vet about that as I may be talking total nonsense and may not be dietry at all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #4

You might remember I had a lot of problems with Porsha's tum. I found Promax to be great for helping to bind up her runny tummies. Also I have found Royal Canin Sensible 33 to be the only food that doesn't give her the runs, it's designed for sensitive tummies. Of course what suits one cat doesn't aways suit another, so it might be trial and error until you find something which suits them. I'd certainly take them off kitten food as the higher protein in it could aggrevate their problems. Good luck do let us know how they get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #5

So there tummy's were like this when you got them...did the person you got them off mention how long this had been going on? or if their tummy's had always been like that....Just wondering how far back it goes back.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #6

I think their tummies need a break....why not try them on something like fresh chicken or fish....I think thats what worked for Alex with Teddy.... give their tummies a chance it may be something they grow out of....They don't drink milk do they....?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
06-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #7

Also other foods which I have found to be good for sensitive tums is Royal Canin Hypoallergenic which is good for IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), Royal Canin Sensitive is also quite good, as is Royal Canin Sensitivity.

Have another chat with your vet and see what they recommend

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
09-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #8

Cant believe that i forgot to update this right well spoke with the vet and all he suggested was putting them on i/d for a week and then weaning them onto some kitten food.

i decided to email burns to see if they had any further advice and they have been extremely helpful. i explained the whole situation and they suggested feeding just egg/chicken/rice for a few days to give their bellies a break and then very slowly weaning them back onto the adult food. they sent a digestive problems article to me that was very helpful. they also said that if the adult food causes the same problems they will send me a sample of their kitten food to try them on.

so far so good! they have been eating scrambled egg for the last two days(mixed with water not milk) and they are doing solid stools at the moment gave them 3 pieces of kibble each this morning so will see how their bellies react to that. il definately keep you all updated on whether this works or not.

oh and no, they do not get any milk. my older two very occasional get cat milk and sometimes drink the soya milk at the end of our cereal bowl but the kittens have never had anything except their dry food bless them.

can i just say that i cannot fault burns at all-their food is fantastic(you should see how shiny my cats fur is its blinding! lol) all the cats are healthy other then the kittens belly problems. they really care about the animals they are providing for which seems to be rare these days oh, and they dont test on animals like 99% of animal food is definately recommend them for anyone who hasnt tried them already!(promise i dont work for them by the way )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
09-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #9

Aww I'm glad they are feeling better Nothing worse than seeing them in discomfort and not knowing how to help

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #10

So pleased their tums have improved.......long may it continue!