Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
14-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #11

Re: Excessive Licking???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
I am interested in this thread in case anyone has any ideas. I have a cat who licks his fur excessively and pulls it out in clumps. He is on treatment for Hyperthyroidism which is under control. When i mentioned the problem to the Vet he didn't make much of it. When he first started treatment his fur grew back and looked realy nice, he is however looking a bit raggy. I have treated him with frontline in case it was a flea problem. I don't think he is stressed but who realy knows.
I was interested to read Tinks post on the use of Prozac as our other Cat is exessively nervous and is getting worse.
My Minnie was being treated for Hyperthyroidism and after 2 weeks began constantly washing and scratching herself.I kept finding fur all round the house.Took her to the vets.They checked her over and decided although the tablets where working(she had put on weight)she was having a reaction to them,the skin inside her ears was very red.She had to stop taking them and we had the operation.All the scratching and washing stopped.Just thought id let you know of my experience.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
14-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #12

Re: Excessive Licking???

Thanks for the info Jacks, i'm glad Minnie is ok.
I think Tom was overgrooming before treatment, have checked his ears and they're fine so will continue as we are for the moment, but i will certaily bear in mind what you have told me if it gets too bad.