Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
27-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Pomegranate

I always like to plant something I haven't tried before, this year it's Pomegranate seeds - took 2 weeks to come up, now 6 days or so after sprouting. (They don't seem too fussy about last year's compost either!). I hear they make a nice plant.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

Re: Pomegranate

Wow! Well done - I'd love to hear how these little seedlings progress. That's something I've never tried.

What a bit of a coincidence actually, just reading a book that has Persephone in it!

Catsey Senior

27-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Wow! Well done - I'd love to hear how these little seedlings progress. That's something I've never tried.

What a bit of a coincidence actually, just reading a book that has Persephone in it!
Ahh, Persephone, daughter of Zeus, Queen of the underworld and goddess of springtime and the harvest, very ap't!
I'll post some more pics as soon they grow out of their current cress impersonation stage!

Catsey Veteran

30-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Did you buy your pomegranate seeds Truth, or use some from a fruit? I've been thinking about growing some myself, evidently the bush/tree is lovely and the plant has beautiful red flowers.

Catsey Senior

31-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #5

I bought a fruit, swished each seed around in my mouth to nibble the flesh off, then poppped in a pot, plastic bag over the top and into the aring cupboard.

That's right, there are bushes and trees; the bushes have beautiful red flowers but you need the tree pomegranate to get a decent yield of fruit. You'll have to be patient tho', they say it can take anything from 3- 6 years to get any fruit. I have no idea whether these seeds are the tree or bush Pom', there was no name on the fruit, still, it's all part of the suprise to me to see how they turn out! You're very welcome to have any when they've grown a bit, but then..that takes all the fun out of growing them yourself doesn't it!

Catsey Veteran

31-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #6

I found this Truth - price doesn't sound bad for 100 seeds! Perhaps if anyone else is interested, we could share???

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...FU4lfAodGnM4Ug

Catsey Senior

31-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Pom' seeds are always a gamble. There's no more %guarantee they'd fruit any more than the ones I've just planted. Trouble is a lot of the time the seeds don't come 'true' like the parent plant so you'd be much better off with cuttings or buying a tree of the genus such as 'Wonderful' that's already been proven to fruit if you're going to pay for one and make it worth your while.

..Oh, another seed's just popped up to say 'hi' to the world today! That's 8 out of 10 sprouted now, only 2 more to pop up.

Catsey Veteran

31-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #8

That's better germination rate than my runner beans! You must have green fingers!!!

Catsey Senior

31-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

I've had the luxury of my secret weapon for the previous 2 weeks..a nice warm, and dark airing cupboard!

Catsey Veteran

31-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #10

Ah .... that could well be the secret!