Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Breadmakers!

Well, who would have thought it . . . after years of saying they were a waste of money I bought one for OH as a 1/2 joke to go with the gluten-free baking book i got him.

How wrong was I???

This is the best thing we've had for ages! OH is busy experimenting with gluten free, spelt and rye flour in various combinations and adding things such as fruit, beer, olives and cheese to his baking delights (not all together I might say).

And each loaf has been better than the last . . . I have to say, for those that love fresh bread and welcome the freedom to experiment, a bread maker is the way to go! And at around 80p a loaf as opposed to the 2 pound + for an 'artisan' loaf in the supermakets it will pay for itself before the year is out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #2

Re: Breadmakers!

I agree that a breadmaker is a great bit of kit! We probably don't use ours enough, but so far we've only had one misfortune and I expect that was down to stale yeast.

I would be very interested in hearing about spelt recipes - or perhaps the title of the gluten-free book you mention Yola. Glad that you and your OH are impressed and happy with your purchase.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
08-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #3

This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

Is it a bit of a waste, is the bread nice, is it worth it etc.

I love fresh bread, like different types of bread too. So, perhaps I should give it a bit more thought.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Not something I have considered going to try and nail basic bag opening before moving onto bread, A friends of mine who has gluten free products swears by hers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
08-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

My parents seem to eat almost nothing else now. I on the other hand tend to ask them to buy in bread for me - I'm not terribly confident slicing bread, and I tend to find that it's too dense for me to eat. I have found it's not too bad if toasted...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

Is it a bit of a waste, is the bread nice, is it worth it etc.

I love fresh bread, like different types of bread too. So, perhaps I should give it a bit more thought.
IMO it is delicious. You do have to remember though that it is not like bought bread and does not have preservatives etc. in it, so does not keep as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
My parents seem to eat almost nothing else now. I on the other hand tend to ask them to buy in bread for me - I'm not terribly confident slicing bread, and I tend to find that it's too dense for me to eat. I have found it's not too bad if toasted...
Again IMO, it is extra delicious toasted. I recommend the half strong white/half wholemeal loaf, which is my fave atm.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #7

Good to hear that it's been such a success, Yola. I used to make bread (by hand) fairly regularly till Whole Foods opened; have gotten spoiled by their artisan breads.

I have an excellent recipe for Bela Kruh, a peasant bread, if any one would be interested.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
09-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #8

my OH has recently aquired one, he used to make it by hand before but they didnt rise very well! it does smell and taste delicious done in the maker, and as said only down point is that it doesnt last very long! im looking forward to making a banana bread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #9

As far as not keeping too long because of no preservatives, I usually made two smaller loaves instead of one larger, and froze the second. Bread freezes very well, and more practical when cooking for one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Good to hear that it's been such a success, Yola. I used to make bread (by hand) fairly regularly till Whole Foods opened; have gotten spoiled by their artisan breads.

I have an excellent recipe for Bela Kruh, a peasant bread, if any one would be interested.
Sounds good - I'd quite like to try it DM.