Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #1

Safety on the web..

It is so important these days for parents to monitor their children's use of the computer. The most vulnerable ages appear to be from 11 to 16 and there are many parents still, who leave their children at the computer for hours without regularly checking what sites they are on...

Children may object to their parents checking up on them but in the long run it is far better to be safe than sorry....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7046986.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #2

Re: Safety on the web..

How frighnening.

My girls discovered MSN a few months ago & it's quite a nice way for them to talk to their little friends, but so many people end up in their address book, I just make them delete all the ones that I don't know. they are 9 and a half & 11yrs, but I am always popping in to check what they are up to..... My sister won't let her kids use MSN at all, they are 13 & 9, but she says no way are they using it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
23-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #3

MSN is also the way in which a lot of children are bullied. I was a Head of Year in a comprehensive school for many years and have dealt with untold numbers of (mainly) young girls who have fallen out with friends and have then been subjected to this form of bullying.

Because it's bullying at a distance the bully feels safe to say what they like. The language they use, the unpleasant things they say about their victims and their families would take your breath away. I advised victims to print off a copy for me and then I called the bully and parents to come and see me, show them what their sugar and spice little darlings can be like under the skin. The shock tactics usually worked. I also had superb support from our local beat officer.

Teach your children to be careful out there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #4

Although mine are a bit small for that kind of thing (we stick to Cbeebies at the moment), it does make me nervous. I don't like these chat environments as the whole invisible bullying scenario is quite concerning. I've also been on a few adult forums where I've witnessed adult ganging up on individuals and it's quite scary.

It's already easy to see how things can escalate, I picked up Dominik from after school care last week, and one 4 year old was saying to another 'I hate you and your Mum smells and I'm going to kill your sister' And this is at a little independent school where they are real sticklers for good behaviour

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #5

It's so frightening isn't it My own children are grown up now but that doesn't stop me worrying about all the other youngsters who are allowed a free rein. My grandchildren are 5 and 7 and both are now using PCs at school .....in a couple of years time I'm sure they too will want to use MSN .......because all their friends do!
I think I would stipulate that all PCs are downstairs where parents can keep an eye on them...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: Bengal
23-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #6

Its very scary. As well as MSN I feel that Bebo and My Space are others to be watched with kids. I think it is Bebo that you can give your email password and they contact everyone in your address book

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
23-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #7

Funny that I barred MSN a few years ago. I also had parental controls on. Darryle used to get annoyed at always going on to fish sites and it saying he had to get my permission. I would have to ok it with a password then they would email me.
You can never be to careful when there's so many weirdo's about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #8

I'm childless, but it does appall me at how many cases you read of where children go off to meet a "friend" they've met on line who turns out to be a pedophile....scary, very scary..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
23-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #9

My daughter is always on MSN. But I check it and know who she is talking to. At 13 it is a worry but know that she is aware of the dangers of going onto chat room sites etc.

I dont mind MSN if I know she is talking to a classmate but no way is she going into chat rooms and the like!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
23-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #10

Unfotunately it is a very scary world out there and new technology opens the doors to all kinds of dangers. I do think it's the parents job to monitor the content of the conversations. Children feel they are ready emotionaly to 'handle' the big wide world and can often become caught up in something without realising it. Peodophiles have a large amount of patience. They never bungle in without ensuring it is safe for them to do so. That's why they shouldn't passed off.
But I also feel the parents on this site are excellent role models for their children and you should all recognise that you are doing a good job.