Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #11

Re: Remember remember 5th Nov daily.

Morning, all. Dark and dismal here..A light rain coming down in that misty kind of way. Woke up only to find that all three dogs left accidents by the back door..several times. Quite the statement they made. I went to bed early because my meds are still making me sleepy as I'm not used to them yet, but K stayed up all night. Empty wine bottle. Suppose someone had a bit too much and didn't pay attention to dogs needing to be let out. I am NOT picking that up, he can deal with it when he wakes I don't mind ferret or cat accidents at all but dogs..that just makes me ill. And they are his dogs anyhow and he needs to pick up after them, I do enough around here.
Last night was the first time I raised my voice to Solomon. Usually it's very hard for me to get upset with him but oh last night I could not believe him. I was trying to put kibble in the ferrets cage and he jumped in and we did a bit of tug of war with the tub of food and he pulled it in such a way that kibble fell on the floor and scattered everywhere. He was being impossible! I'm afraid I hurt his feelings as he sulked afterwards, I've never raised my voice to him anymore. And I'm sure gobbling up the coveted kibble before I could sweep it all up made him feel a bit better I still feel a little bad though that I raised my voice, I was just so tired and trying to finish up before bed I lost my temper He must know I'm talking about him, he just came to me for chin tickles so I guess we're okay again
It looks a bit foggy in the distance. Misty, moisty kind of day.
Vet tonight at 5pm for MoMo's injection. Nothing else planned.
Have a good day, all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
05-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Where are you going on holiday?
We're off to Cornwall and have booked a dog-friendly cottage this one

It's just south of Mevagissey but more importantly it's just across the road from the pub!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #13

Isnt bonfire night to celebrate the failure of the gunpowder plot and the demise of Guy Fawks?
Wasnt it said somewhere that he was the only man to have entered parliment with "honest" intentions???
Anyhoo, have a good one, be safe and most of all keep all the animals safe. xxx

http://answers.yourdictionary.com/hi...ire-night.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Isnt bonfire night to celebrate the failure of the gunpowder plot and the demise of Guy Fawks?
Wasnt it said somewhere that he was the only man to have entered parliment with "honest" intentions???
Anyhoo, have a good one, be safe and most of all keep all the animals safe. xxx
Yes Elaine, bonfire night is to celebrate the failure of the plot, i'd forgotten that.
I love the bit about the honest intentions

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
05-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #15

It hasn't stop raining all day here but the determined few are setting off their fireworks right down in the constant stair-rods, fair play!

Posh not at all bovvered sittting here grooming and not turning a hair to the loud bangs. I'm a bit worried though that we're off to a party tomorrow night and I expect there will be more noise etc then, think we should leave the telly on for her.

Don't see the old customs around Guy Fawkes night like we used to. No cries of Penny for the Guy any more- sad
I love to remember the cold dry bonfire nights I can recall; the smell of baked spuds in the fire, the pungent smoke of the fireworks and the sound of excited oohs and ahhs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
It hasn't stop raining all day here but the determined few are setting off their fireworks right down in the constant stair-rods, fair play!

Posh not at all bovvered sittting here grooming and not turning a hair to the loud bangs. I'm a bit worried though that we're off to a party tomorrow night and I expect there will be more noise etc then, think we should leave the telly on for her.

Don't see the old customs around Guy Fawkes night like we used to. No cries of Penny for the Guy any more- sad
I love to remember the cold dry bonfire nights I can recall; the smell of baked spuds in the fire, the pungent smoke of the fireworks and the sound of excited oohs and ahhs
Yes thats right wrapped up in scalves and hats gloves sparklers, baked potatoes....hot dogs..............hot chocolate.

Catsey Veteran

05-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #17

Last week when we went to a Halloween bonfire, there were hot dogs, parched peas, candy floss. I has cheese and onion pie and peas.
Going to another one tomorrow in the next village.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #18

What's "parched peas" please???

Catsey Veteran

05-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
What's "parched peas" please???
Angie, parched peas are sometimes called Black peas or pidgeon (sp) peas.
They are Brown and after soaking you cook them slowly, then season with vinagar. Delicious, think they may be a Northern dish.i googled this for you,

Black peas, also called parched peas or maple peas, form a traditional Lancashire dish served often on or around Bonfire Night (5 November). The dish, popular in Rochdale, Oldham, Bury and Bolton, is made from the purple podded pea (Pisum sativum var. arvense)[1] which is long soaked overnight and simmered to produce a type of mushy pea. Parching is a now defunct term for long slow boiling.[2]

Contents [hide]
1 Consumption
2 Other variations
3 Availability
4 References

[edit] Consumption
Black peas are commonly found at fairgrounds[3] and mobile food counters. They are traditionally eaten from a cup with salt and vinegar. They can be served hot or cold, the former being especially so in the winter months. At fairgrounds they were traditionally served in white porcelain mugs and eaten with a spoon. In more recent years they are served in thick white disposable cups. Many people fail to re-create the same taste black peas provide when bought at a funfair. In Preston parched peas are sold ready cooked and served in brown paper bags still on the Flag Market, an autumn delicacy.

[edit] Other variations

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #20

How interesting, Shelley, never heard of those, nor that parching was a old term for boiling. That would have made a good quiz Q!