Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
04-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #1

Putting two together

Putting Koko and Rajah into the same house is taking some planning. He arrived on 31 April so its only three days!

They have met, albeit briefly face to face and that turned a bit hissy so this is what I am doing now. Koko spends most of her time in her favourite room. She is in there overnight, but then thats where she always slept even given the whole house to choose from. He can roam but chooses to sleep with me. So far so good.

The are four litter trays around the house, two main areas for feeding and separate feeding times.

For a couple of hours I switch this arrangement around, he goes in the sitting room and she comes with me...hopefully this mixes the scents up.

This morning was a first, when I went into the sitting room she opened one eye and ignored me, so I sat beside her and for the very first time she let me pet her, scratch under her chin, stroke her back and rolled over on her back for a tummy rub! Whilst purring very gently. In other words she could have got out of my way very easily which in the past she has always done.

He is sitting right behind me now sleeping, which doesn't give me much room on the chair!

Oh and they both have full on race about playtimes with me and their own toys for solo play.

They are occasionally meeting, which right now means Koko expands to a huge fluff ball hissy miss! He flops down flat on his tummy and chirrups.
Given time this arrangement will ease.

Any further steps I can take?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
04-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #2

Re: Putting two together

I think that you are doing exactly all the right things that need to be done and in time things will improve it will just take abit of patience, love and understanding for each of their temperaments which I know that you have got from previous threads that I have read.
Keep up the good work you are doing great and hopefully in the future we may see a pic of them sat together

Catsey Junior

04-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Oh Leesy! I would love to get a pic of the two together, they are both so stunning!

I really want this to work because I would like to have a couple more cats.

I guess I am just a cat person and life without them is horrid!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
04-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokytopaz
Oh Leesy! I would love to get a pic of the two together, they are both so stunning!

I really want this to work because I would like to have a couple more cats.

I guess I am just a cat person and life without them is horrid!
You will in time beable to get a pic of the pair of them together like I said just give them time, and yes they are both such stunning cats

Yes you will make it work as you are the kind of person who will give it all that she has got until you see success

Life without cats would just be a life I could not even contemplate

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #5

This sounds good. I'm sooo pleased - there were a couple of posts from you in the previous thread which seemed to indicate you were reaching the end of your tether. Maybe that was rock-bottom and you're now into 'Onwards and Upwards' mode? I do hope so.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
04-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #6

im with you both... couldn't live without cats...
ST your post today sounds like Koko had a good morning...it will take time... and she may take a few steps forward and then one backward..but im sure she will get there in the end...
This coming Thursday it will be 6 weeks since we adopted Harri...Her and George still aren't the best of friends...Harri sounds a bit like Rajah... in that she wants to be near George. Harri just bounds up as if to say..."hi!... Im your new friend" and George is now more accepting for her to be around now as long as she doesn't get in his space all the time...
They haven't curled up and had a sleep together yet... but Harri ALWAYS wants to play... and they do chase each other around a bit until George tires of it and then most of the time he'll just go and sit in his favorite chair and have a snooze...a couple of times Harri decided that she would jump up on the chair and he hissed at her... she hasn't done that since as she's obviously realised that that particular chair is HIS territory...It will take time for Koko and Rajah to sort out whos spot belongs ot whom and which areas can be shared.. who knows... once day soon the may even suprise you and start sniffing each other without any hisses.. do keep up with the tranferring of scents.. as that will help Koko become accustomed to having Rajah around... especially if she seems to have a bit of a memory problem...

Catsey Junior

04-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #7

I suppose I was at the end of my tether with Koko DM, but deep breaths and we will be fine. She just vvv nervous and quite honestly seems very happy being in the sitting room. I went in a while ago and she was sleeping curled up in her cat bed which she studiously ignored when I bought it for her. She peeped over the top and looked at me with that catty ability to say 'and your problem is??'

And he is so bouncy, you're right PJ, he just thinks everyone is lovely and they just need an extra bounce to realise how much they need to be his friend!

I did say to Jenny when I took him that if it didn't work then he would have to go home, and I would think in the event of total disaster, he would be easy to rehome and she won't be. See? I can be sensible.

Mostly I am afraid they will get hurt, those claws and teeth and do a lot of damage.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #8

ST, if there's been no physical violence yet, just hissing and fluffing up it sounds very encouraging; if it were going to happen I think it would have by now. You do sound so much more upbeat today! And that was a big step forward with Koko this morning. Hang in there!

And I cannot imagine a house without a cat also ...when my childhood cat disappeared (at 17! ), my Mom wouldn't let us have another; she was convinced he was going to come home .... so some sad catless years for me till I was an adult and got my own.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #9

Sounds like things are moving in a more possitive direction, nice one xxx

Catsey Junior

06-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #10

OK today was the third day they were mostly separated. Three or four times I left the door (well propped) ajar so they could see each other. The last couple of times Koko didn't hiss or spit so tonight I left the door wide open. Well they didn't fall into each others arms but raced about at high speed, who was chasing who?

Body language is good in cats, both had their ears well up and forward, no raised hackles.

He is singing to her now, outside the door but I felt after 20 minutes that was enough, we did have a hissy spit from Koko, and she rushed into her room (how did that happen? I thought it was my room!).

So we made a little progress.

Oh Rajah went to the vet today for his post op check up and he is in fine fettle. I said to the vet that Koko would not get into the basket (or be tricked forced or any other way without huge upset) to be checked and she said if there was no apparent probs then that was fine and the little bit of string she has pulled out will fall off any way so not to worry.

Phew.