Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
17-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #1

Stray cat

for a long time now probably several years a cat has been creeping into my house thro the cat flap and eating Millies left,overs .a couple of months ago we caught him eating Millies food he took no notice of us, I open two extra packets of whiskas and he scoffed them, he was starving.. He is very friendly and now stays most days and nights..the trouble is he is a Tom and he still has all his bits. so I am at a bit of a quandry..do I take him to a cat rescue..or do I take him to my vets and pay to have his " bits " removed..and keep him..at the moment his hormones are working and he is a bit of a handful. he is not what I would call a pretty cat..so cannot make my mind up..what would you do. ?????? the trouble is I am not one hundred percent sure he is a stray..

john

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
17-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Re: Stray cat

Would he let you put a collar with a barrel on? If so why not do that and put a 'do you own this cat' message. If after a few days there is no response then it is likely he is a stray.

After that it has to be up to you. Do you want another cat? How does he get on with Millie?

Either way he would need to be castrated if he is going to be a house cat.

Don't envy your decision, I'm such a softy I'd have Noah's ark if I wasn't kept in the reality zone by my OH.

Good Luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

You could take his pic and make a few posters, put them on lampposts etc.
Say you believe the cat is a stray; that it appears to need veterinary attention and a home and that unless someone contacts you, you intend to take it in, as from whatever date?
That may be cat-napping; I don't know.
I suspect if you contact Cats Protection they will offer you advice you can trust and may even neuter him and return him to you.
Good luck and well done for trying to help even the less attractive of our feline friends!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
17-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #4

Some years ago I had a similar situation whilst a poor student. The CP suggested the collar with a note for two weeks (I think-this ws 20 years ago so can't remember exactly). There was no response so they agreed to cover the cost of neutering him if I agreed to give him a home which I did. He was not a beautiful boy (he'd been in a few fights!) and the name Manky just stuck...... He stayed with me for a while but was later adopted by a friend who had no cats as he became a bit agressive towards one of the others at times. He was a huge, slightly battered, VERY soft boy with humans and female cats but I think the late neutering left him with some agressive tendencies towards other male cats- even castrated males. Sorry- long message to say that I think most charities ask you to do the collar and note thing for a set time to be sure that it is a stray.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #5

that's what happens when you have a cat flap! (Can you tell I don't like cat flaps)

I'm sure CP would pay to have him neutered for you if you wanted to keep him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #6

Can't add to the sensible advice given above. Another reason not to have a cat flap, IMO .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #7

I was there too in 2002 with my old Ferdy. I tried the collar thing, but was fairly certain he was a stray anyway. Had him done and the old boy turned into the laziest, loveliest lap cat ever. My 2 persians were OK with him so he - FIV that he was - joined our furry family until fate took him a couple of years later. Nobody came looking, and to be honest if they had I would have had a strong case of feline neglect against them anyway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
18-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #8

I never thought of trying the collar and barrel thing when Posh turned up here. I do feel guilty some times when I think that someone may be missing her but we did try several avenues before claiming her as our own ( posters, ringing around vets , CP phoneline, RSPCA etc.) Although I couldn't have fed her and turned her out into the cold again after she waltzed into the house.

Strays do tug at my heartstrings, I'd feed them all . Hope the young scruff will find a good home with you John.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #9

Bless you for caring for him John. I'd report that you have him to CP/RSPCA and, if you are sure that you want to keep him, ask that they help you to have him neutered in due course. You don't want him causing any strife for Millie though.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
18-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #10

thank you all for your advice..at this moment he has been fed and is asleep in my chair. yes I think I will keep him and if Maggs is reading this thread perhaps she can advise me were the local CP is