Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Niggling worry

Mindy is a delight, very special kitten, loves to play & 'try to kill' the curtains when awake, however shes not like any other baby animal we have raised. She played for an hour this morning & then went to sleep & been asleep since. She sleeps 8 hours solid or mOre during the day, never wakens to eat or toilet or drink.

We have vet appt Friday anyway for Vaccs & at moment this is National holiday here.

I dont know why i have this niggling worry. Im used baby animals flopping down for few hours, then up to play, eat, toilet & flop down again however this kitten is very different Has anyone else had a baby like this?

In such a short time we have got so attached to this wee girl so why cant i just enjoy her instead of feeling anxious?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Re: Niggling worry

sorry Helen, i can't help. 8 hours during the day without eating does seem a lot, but i realy don't know.
I'm sure someone will be along who has more idea

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

It is unusual - I understand your concerns, but as I would recommend you speaking to your vet and you have an appointment booked, I would wait until then. Perhaps it is to do with her early life and she may not have as much stamina as other small animals, I do so hope there is nothing more to it and as she grows and gains strength, her energy levels will improve and she will sleep less.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

Am very sorry to hear this, that does sound worrying. Is there any possibility you can get an earlier appointment?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #5

That is unusual behavior for a kitten; why not call the vet to discuss, then maybe reschedule appointment if she/he feels it necessary .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #6

I was quite concerned this evening as when she woke she coughed a few times and had difficulties actually wakening up or so it seemed.

12th and 13th here are Bank Holidays so it would be emergency vet and not our usual vet.

There she was this evening sitting struggling to keep awake when in sauntered his nibs - Mr Tim. He actually came right up to her and they touched noses before he backed off a couple of steps and hissed. It must not have meant that much as Mindy followed him down the kitchen and tried to sniff his tail which resulted in another hiss. In his laid back way Tim then got up and ate some kitten [dry] food and a few minutes later after he had gone, Mindy got up and ate some dry food, I honestly didn't think she could manage it however it must have been because Tim ate it, Mindy ate.

She was awake for a couple of hours before nodding off again. She is in her nights sleep now. She is such a tiny sweet little kitten, you couldn't help but be besotted with her. Even Amber came in today and touched noses with Mindy and not a hiss so fingers crossed folks they are getting used to each other

I will see how she is tomorrow + if she coughs again I will definitely be on the phone to the vets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
13-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

*hugs* How is she doing today Velvet?