Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #1

Bernie

A little worried about him again. I may have researched too much about cat health and behaviours in the past that I now get a little panicked too fast.
He is ok in the respect that he is eating, drinking and toileting ok. Nothing out of the ordinary although I do wish he'd eat a little more than he does. G doesnt see it but I see that he is losing weight, not rapidly but over a course of time he has in my opinion lost some weight and or muscle tone.
Have been thinking over the last few months or so that maybe I should have him blood tested again and possibly have his T4 count checked.
Overkill do you think? I do normally trust my gut instinct as you all know but as there is no real symptoms to describe to the vet, I just wonder if maybe I am over reacting this time.
Your thoughts and views are appreciated as always.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Re: Bernie

Put it this way Elaine - if you have all the checks done and nothing comes to light, you can stop worrying. If on the other hand something is just beginning to be off balance, the fact that you will have caught whatever it might be early could be very helpful.

You know Bernie best - when was he last weighed? Do you have home scales that you could rely on just to pop him on to see if what you suspect is true or not.

IMO it's better to check things out than worry unnecessarily.

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #3

I agree with you Angie, think I just wanted some one to confirm that I'm not just being meladramatic.
He had his weight checked and bloods done last year, August I think it was, that was when the vet found a slight abnormality which may have suggested the begining of Urinary Tract disease and when I stopped feeding any dry foods at all.
I dont have reliable scales any more, they broke but I'm sure he feels ribbier rather than looks like he has lost weight if you know what I mean.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

At my vet's surgery, anyone can pop in when a vet nurse is on duty to have their animal weighed, no charge! Does you vet's do the same sort of thing?

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

I'm sure they will do. Will give them a call in the morning I think.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
30-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

I think if he is OK with travelling to the vet I would get him checked. With either Smudge or Tolly I would but with Cleo she gets SO stressed in the car and at the vet that it can be a bit of balancing act deciding which is kinder. You know him best and I don't think you are over reacting- just a very experienced pet owner and carer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
30-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #7

i would have him checked over aswell, if only just to put your mind at ease! trust your instinct, if its wrong then its a good thing!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #8

I agree with the above; you know him, and better safe than sorry.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
30-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #9

I don't think you're being meladramatic. Even though there are no symptoms as such, you know your cat best. It wouldn't hurt to get Bernie checked out and would stop you being worried. Keep us posted

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
30-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #10

I agree, putting your mind at rest for a simple blood test will be worth it Elaine...fingers crossed here xx