Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tabby & black and white
08-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Hind leg amputated

Hello, my first post today.
I was hoping someone could give me some advice please.

Our 6month old cat Rory went missing for a week, every evening we went out, cat biscuits under my arm, shaking them and calling his name..nothing..then on Thursday morning, last week, he came home. He was sitting by the back door. One of his hind legs was broken and he was in pain. I took him straight to the vets. To cut a long story short they confirmed it was indeed broken at the knee.

They advised us to have the leg amputated due to the trauma.Not an easy choice but we didn't have any other options, well we did but that was to have him put to sleep!
Rory was in recovery for 3 days.
He is home now..thank goodness and seems to be getting on well although he's not keen on the hat. His stitches are due to come out next Monday we have him in a cage, as advised. I would like some advice on how long recovery is and when he can get about..he keeps looking up at the window sill, where he would sit before jumping outside.Not that he will be doing that for a while yet..if at all. Has anyone experience of this situation? Any help of advice would be such a help. Thank you Ali .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
08-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Re: Hind leg amputated

So sorry to hear of teh trauma your wee boy has gone through. I hope he picks up soon x

i havent personally experienced it but my neighbours cat and her brother adopted us many years ago, she was unfortunately hit by a car and lost 1 of her back legs amputated, after time, she was just as agile as she was before the accident happened. They can recover and go on almost like normal.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Hello & Welcome to Catsey!

Sorry to hear about your wee boy, hope he is okay

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Sorry to hear abut Rory, Some of our members have had cats with amputations, and the consensus is that they cope amazingly well. They simply adapt to being short a limb, and get about like a normal cat.

Do post a pic of Rory if you can, and let us know how he's doing. Welcome to Catsey, BTW

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Rescue centre - currently LOTS
08-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

One of the cats at the rescue here has a hind leg amputation - the entire leg - not even a stump. It was done before he came here, as a result of a tangle with a fox or badger, and I don't know exactly how long ago the operation was. He is, however, VERY mobile. He can jump up and down as well as his able-bodied friend. He can run just as fast as a "normal" cat. He plays with his catnip toys, and to watch him getting about, you wouldn't know he was different. He's simply a cat... doing all things cattish.
I am sure Rory will recover fine. Not sure how long it will take. Main thing to remember is that humans notice the difference...... cats don't. Cats just get on and live. To Rory, he's still a Cat - and a very FINE Cat at that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #6

What a nice, helpful pleasant post, FR!

Cats owned: Tabby & black and white
09-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #7

Thank you all for the kind words of support. I will post a picture of Rory and keep you updated later today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #8

Look forward to his photo.

ETA - ours are housecats - they have access to an outside run & get on fine. I noticed in your post you would be hesitant to let him out again & can understand that

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #9

Welcome to Catsey. So sorry for your poor young Rory - what a blessing he made it home again. I have no personal experience of a cat with an amputation, but as others have said cats cope very well and don't have the problems that humans have. I look forward to seeing photos of your brave boy. Hopefully he will heal well and recover in his own time.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
09-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #10

We have a 3 legged hooligan Maverick - missing his rear leg and he is at pace as fast as his 4 legged brothers and sisters, most folks ask why he limps but he is fine and just a hooligan like all the rest

They adapt better than we do