Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #11

Re: Metacam Warning

Wilbar, Velvet, what heartbreaking stories; so sorry. (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
25-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #12

I know Wilbar. Our usual vet the Senior partner. I will never ever forget her kindness and sensitivity the final day we took Rosie. She had seen Rosie from we got her from rescue at 10 weeks so it was fitting she was there on her final day. I wont go into it here except to say it is much more dignified for your pet to be sedated first - first time I was ever offered that choice. Our beautiful girl just slipped away into a deep sleep with me by her side.

There must be alternatives to Metacam for cats though when its not used in the USA, the vets there must use another drug.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
25-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #13

There are NO NSAIDS approved for use in cats in the US. We have to use narcotics for pain relief like Buprenorphine or Tramadol. Cats just can't handle NSAIDS. They haven't found one that they can. Supposedly, Metacam is supposed to be safe for ONE injection, ONE time only. I won't even allow my cats to have that. I've seen too many cats die of renal failure after being on Metacam.

Wilbar, I'm so sorry about Fintan. Its inexcusable that you were never told that its not approved for use in cats. Honestly, its deplorable the attitude some vets have towards this drug.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
25-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #14

Rachel - Thanks for explaining

Maybe someday manufacturers will come up with something that suits. Judging by people though & the many Nsaid available & large percentage who cant tolerate them, it may not be anytime soon.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby with ginger & a black & white
25-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #15

I was given Metacam for Mitsy when she had cystitis. It was packaged as for cats. Not happy after reading this. I will be asking for notes to be put on my notes never to give Metacam.
So sorry to hear of the sad stories.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
11-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #16

i have just been given metacam for Harris but after reading this i am really wary of giving it to him now. He had an anti inflammatary injection which may have been the metacam and also to give it to him orally for 4days whilst hes taking anti biotics to bring down the swelling.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #17

Wilbar and Velvet I'm sorry to hear of the effects and suffering your poor cat and dog had to endure with this nasty drug. RIP your darling Boxer and Fintan.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
15-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #18

I questioned the use of this with Lester today, apparently it has never been licensed in US for the treatment of cats and they were just dosing with dog strength drugs. Here it has been licensed and also the doses are lower so they are not overdosing the animal. I don't know if this was just something to shut me up but the practise is really good and the staff are all great

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #19

I remember when Merlin was first prescribed it, the license was only for use in dogs, the vet explained it to me. The type prescribed for cats now is formulated for cats and licensed as such. All I can say is that I've had it prescribed for Pip for a 4 day course and he was fine with it, I am relieved to say. Of course, all animals are individuals and can respond differently.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
16-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #20

My boy will be having Metacam tomorrow!!
He has to have an ear oedema lanced and sutured then given an antibiotic and sent home with a collar, he'll be bit of a bloody mess the vet said but she said with the geriatric anaesthetic he'll only be under 5-1O mins and should be fine, he's not had an op since he was a young 'man' and that was before he came to me..Ulp.. My other cat who is hyperthyrioditic was fine with this vet when she had an abcess and teeth out so I know that he'll be in pretty good hands.