Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
14-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #11

Re: Misty has a vet visit tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Just got a message for the vet- and her bloods are not bad at all. - the phophate levels are still normal, the urea and creatinine are about double what they should be- but Chokki was 5 times above normal when we had to call it a day.

He has sent off for a thyroid check, but he did suggest it may just be age. Of course I'm now worrying she has a tumour of aomething, but she seems well in herself and she is 21!
Those are the words you need to say when you have an elderly cat "well in herself"

You know your cat better than anyone and can judge I think as well as any test any little change,.......glad she is better in herself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
14-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #12

I know you are right Kazz, and logiaclly she has had 3 more extra years- if we hadn't taken her at 18 she was going to be PTS. Still it doesn't make it any easier in the long run. When the vet called to say her kidneys weren't too back, I cried for 20 mins, and it was good news.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #13

Oh farthing, it's so hard when they start failing; why did God make them so loving and with such short life spans? (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
14-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #14

I hope Misty is ok and has more time with you farthing, she couldn't wish for anyone better to care for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
14-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Oh farthing, it's so hard when they start failing; why did God make them so loving and with such short life spans? (((hugs)))
So we have the chance to experience the joy of cats......and cats have the chance to experience the good homes.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 DSH,1 DLH & 1 Ragdoll
17-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
I know you are right Kazz, and logiaclly she has had 3 more extra years- if we hadn't taken her at 18 she was going to be PTS. Still it doesn't make it any easier in the long run. When the vet called to say her kidneys weren't too back, I cried for 20 mins, and it was good news.
We too took in an 18 year old cat last year when it's original family tired of taking care of him. Within 2 months of being in our home, we discovered he had a hyperthyroid and had him started on medication. He has done beautifully these past 9 months! Only about 2 weeks ago he started showing signs of something being wrong again and we had his thyroid levels checked and sure enough, they were out of whack again...his body adjusted to the meds and so we had to double them. We are now keenly watching his kidneys.

All that to say, thyroid is not a death sentence, even at an advanced age.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #17

Thanks for the replies.
We got Misty's results back today and her thyroid is fine.

I spoke to the vet about what we do next, but he is not keen to x-ray, because of her age and condition, and realistically I don't suppose I would put her through an op, even if we discovered a cancer. I know the vets would investigate if I asked them, but not sure how fair it is on Misty and like the vet says- it may just be old age and nothing else. I am feeding her an extra meal at lunchtime, along with Fluffy, Pudding, Jimmy and Spice. I really need seperate little room as feeding blocks!