Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
24-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #1

New Kittens - Lemon & Enki

Lemon belongs to my fiance and I, the white and silver tabby. The sweet little white and ginger tabby, Enki, belongs to my parents.

They come from two different litters and were 'rescued,' though I don't know much about the story - all I know that that they were Mother-less and the word 'feral' was mentioned.

I am disappointed in the woman I got them from (through a friend of mine, totally free rescue kittens that needed homes.) as she was very disorganised.

I waited about a month to get these kittens, and when the woman finally arranged a date with me.. She vanished out of contact, and never contacted me despite having my home number. She got online the night before the day, with me begging to know the time that she would arrive with the kittens, and she simply said that she didn't know because she wasn't home and then went offline.

We did get the kittens, she contacted us last-minute after leaving a weird voice mail on my fiance's phone about how they have some little health issues and wondered if she should take them to the vet instead of giving them to us. (Despite already telling me that she was going to take them to the vet about a week earlier.) Also after telling my parents that she tried to call us but had the wrong number, despite me giving her our home number a total of four times (three times online, once via voice message.)

Lemon has one bad eye, which I was told about over a month ago and she has never mentioned it since, so I assumed it had cleared up - but no.

Enki has two rather bad eyes, they are swollen and very gunky, however he seems to have had no problem seeing. He also has sniffles and sneezes a lot.

I am regularly cleaning their eyes, and I think that Lemon's eye should clear up fine, but am keeping an eye on Enki. If his eyes do not show improvement (as I honestly believe that the women who kept them never bothered to bathe their eyes), he shall be going to the vet.

Other than that, they are both very healthy. They eat, drink, play and have normal bowel movements.

Surprisingly they were not scared in the slightest when they met us, but instead simply wanted play and affection. They are both super affectionate and love human attention, cuddling up on people to sleep and.. Chasing each other around the living room. XD

However! I was informed that they are 7-8 weeks old. Enki is definitely much younger, and I have no idea how old they both are. My guess is 5-7 weeks old, the both of them. Any ideas?

Spike is interested in them, in a very gentle sort of way - whilst Honey is absolutely terrified of them.

Finally, some photos! (The human featured in these photos is my fiance - and the 'big cat' is Spike.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #2

Re: New Kittens - Lemon & Enki

They are both very small, think about 5-6 weeks, I would have them vet checked....They do look like their eyes are quite sore....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #3

I am sure that you will keep an eye on their eyes - poor wee mites, I bet they are thankful to be looked after properly. Glad they both seem friendly little ones and are happy to be around people. Good luck to them and to you - glad you have finally got them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #4

I agree with Pat and would have them vet checked asap. There could be anything wrong with them, from cat flu to something more sinister. My friend DD has worked in rescue, mainly ferals, for years and has had some terrible heartaches after taking in kittens with gunky eyes. That said alot were fine after treatment but she had several who lost eyes due to infection and eventually lost kittens too.
Such a shame as they are adorable but I trust you will do right by them. Would be interested to hear what their story is, I know you dont know it but would be interesting none the less.

Catsey Senior

Darky is Male
24-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #5

I doubt I'll ever find out what it is, due to the general uselessness of the lady I got them from.

I plan to take Lemon to the vet, however Enki is not mine and therefore it is not my place. My parents want to 'wait and see' after lots of regular cleaning, however I think I may end up taking Enki anyway as I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Unfortunately I will need to wait about a week, due to recent money worries - however I will take them sooner if their condition decreases in the slightest.

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #6

Personally, if I were taking on any animal, gunky eyes or not, one of the first things I'd do would be to arrange a vet check and therefore would make sure that I had the funds available.

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Personally, if I were taking on any animal, gunky eyes or not, one of the first things I'd do would be to arrange a vet check and therefore would make sure that I had the funds available.
I would do the same...........

Catsey Senior

Darky is Male
24-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #8

I also expected the kittens at a completely different time, so things have been completely muddled up.

I didn't ask for judgement, thank you.

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #9

Not judging, just giving an opinion....

Catsey Veteran

24-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #10

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=30262
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=29740
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25080

Sorry but it seems to me that any time one of your cats needs to see a vet, you cannt afford it. Maybe taking on more animals was not the wisest thing to do if finances are always so tight.
It's about whats in the animals best interests after all, isnt it?