Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Royal British Legion

Anyone watching this years RBL rememberance programme and is it me getting old or is everyone singing loud and not very well or are the singers not very good.....??

Ahh the Royal Marines Band......more in keeping.............nice mention of the town of Wootton Bassett.

I always try to watch this and the poppy laying ceremony at the Cenotaph..........I know its in memory of those fallen.

And has anyone else noticed the number of younger people wearing poppies this last couple of years maybe what the announcer said at the start of tonights service is the reason since last Rememberance Sunday 111 members of the British Armed forces have been killed in Afghanistan..................................

The song "You are not alone" being sung by the young choir girl as the wives/husbands/girlfriends/parents walked down the stairs very poignant.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
14-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #2

Re: Royal British Legion

I watched this also Karen, as I do every year. I found myself in tears a number of times. Partly because of the emotive subject, and partly because it was the first one since my gran died in december, and we used to watch this together when I was little. Plus they sang 'How Great Thou Art' one of her favourite hymns.

The young girl who sang was wonderful, as was Hayley Westenra (with the wonderful Bernard Cribbens).

My 2 always wear a poppy, and both are out on parade tomorrow. Raechel with the army cadets, and Hayley with the Brownies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
14-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #3

Watched it last night and will watch the Cenotaph event today. Yes, there are more people buying poppies as I feel more people are being touched by war today, friends and family in Afghanistan/Iraq wars etc.
On Nov 11, at 11.00 the 2 mins silence was observed in Tesco and everyone stopped and no-one talked, it was very emotional. Yesterday, the poppy seller by Brecon indoor market was telling us that he's had queues forming to buy poppies. He also told us that some loudmouth kids, yob-type, who'd normally would have been ignoring him or abusive, stopped and put money in the tin but didn't want to have a poppy, just said "Ta, mister, good job!" He was amazed and pleased.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
14-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #4

Thats like round here I was in Sutton town centre on Thursday and the town came to a standstill they announced it ona loudspeaker system the bell chimed over the system and everything stopped for the silence even the buses stopped and I have to say it was very moving not sure if everyone would have without that but public opinion seems to be swayed towards that silence being observed and no one seemed prepared to break it.

My brother and nephew went to the to the Villa V ManU match yesterday and said that 99% of the crowd where they sit were wearing poppies and the silence (always well observed) I have noted at football games this is always excepionaly well observed.
All matches/sporting events played this weekend will observe the silence before the matches
I believe Birmingham town centre came to a standstill as well as many more throughout the country. Supermarkets and shopping centre observe it well.

The groundswell of public respect for the armed services I cannot recall it being higher. I know we are not like the USA in having flags on houses......but then we would not be us would we?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
14-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

I didn't get to watch the service this year as my daughter and I have been to Champneys for the week-end. However, I always find it incredibly moving and makes me proud to be British.