Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
24-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

Big Foozy has Cat Flu

Help!!. My Big Foozy is very poorly with cat flu. He is isolated away from the others. He has been on Synulox and Metacam for 5 days an there is no improvement. He has a snotty nose and runny eyes, he's not eating or drinking. I have put a few drops of Olbas oil in hot water in a dish in his room. I have syringed water and diluted chicken baby food into him. We will take him back to the vet tomorrow. He has an appointment on Wednesday but he's still so poorly. I wasn't impressed with the vet we saw, especially when she put her hand over his nose and mouth to stop him purring. I had to pull her fingers away from his nose because he couldn't breathe.

Does anyone have any tips how to make him feel more comfortable. I'm thinking of putting him his carrying box and putting a towel over it and putting Olbas oil in a dish with hot water to clear his nose. I will be syringing him with water and chicken baby food every 2 hours. I can't get unflavoured electrolytes anywhere. Anything that anyone can come up with will be helpful. I am on the verge of tears here, I feel so helpless and he's such a gorgeous, soft boy and he looks so poorly and miserable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

Re: Big Foozy has Cat Flu

I am so sorry to read this FM - you are obviously v. worried about your poor boy. Is Obas safe for cats? I would think steam on it's own would be better to help his breathing. I have just had a quick Google and haven't found anything particularly helpful yet. Gungy eyes and nose can be bathed with warm salted water. I've read that if a cat looses the sense of smell, they are unlikely to eat. Have your tried really strong stuff like sardines - the smell may get through. I will keep looking and post again. I didn't want you to think no-one was trying to help!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #3

Olbas Oil is OK - just found this from The Blue Cross

"How is cat flu treated?

There are no effective antiviral drugs in common use. Antibiotics may help because, just as in human flu, once the virus has damaged the delicate lining of the nose and airways, bacterial infections can enter and cause complications, such as pneumonia.

Nursing care at home is important. A blocked nose and mouth ulcers may stop a cat eating and drinking, leading to dehydration, which can be particularly dangerous in kittens. Because your cat may have lost its sense of smell and have a sore throat, sloppy, strong-smelling foods should be offered. Suggestions include sardines, pilchards, roast chicken, or one of the invalid diets available from vets. Cream or ice cream may be taken if your cat has mouth ulcers. Cats that cannot eat may need to be hospitalised for treatment.

Encourage your cat to drink, as fluids help to loosen thick catarrhal secretions. Wipe away discharges from the nose and eyes regularly using salt water (a teaspoonful of salt to a pint of water). Steam inhalations help to loosen catarrh, so let the cat in the bathroom when you have a bath or shower, or offer inhalations of Olbas Oil by putting a few drops of oil in a container of warm water. Place this in the room with the cat, but not where the cat might drink it!

Alternatively, put a few drops of Olbas Oil or eucalyptus oil on some cotton wool, and place in the room with the cat. Avoid direct contact, as it may be an irritant. A small amount of Vicks VapoRub can be applied to the chin. Do not give any other human medicines to your cat – cats are not small humans and many of our home remedies are toxic to them."

Who would have thought Vicks VapoRub???

I am sending strong healing vibes to your lovely boy and have fingers crossed that he starts eating something very soon.

Catsey Senior

24-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

Thank you Angie. I've just syringed some more water into him but he's fighting me all the way, even when wrapped in a towel. I will put him in the bathroom tonight when I have a bath. Its hard because I'm frightened of the others getting it, I don't know where he's got it from because they don't mix with other cats, neither do we or the dogs. The only place I can think of is Huggins brought it back from the vets when he was neutered. We will take him back to the vets tomorrow and find out what the prognosis is. I don't want him messed about with on a drip and hospitalised, it wouldn't be fair. I think he may have had it before and his sinuses have been damaged. The antibiotics aren't doing anything. I am trying to make sure his fluid intake is sufficient but its not easy. You are very kind to find this stuff out for me, thank you for the healing vibes too. I'll post what the vet says tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #5

Oh FM i am so sorry to hear about Big Foozy. I haven't got any advice to offer other than try a different vet if you are unhappy. Angie has found some good info for you.
Healing vibes coming his way.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
25-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Poor lad!. Dehydration prevention is very important, if a simple, warm, sugar salt solution rehydrating fluid isn't being accepted drizzled in with a syringe he will probably feel quite rotten, bless him. A simple solution I have found most cats take to is 1tbs sugar and 1teaspoon salt dissolved well in 1 and three quarter pints warm hot water, given warm..rehydration often really is the keystone to a cat's survival rate in many situations and there is no often no better option than to be put on a drip to stabilise him to kick start the healing process. It is well worth considering if it comes to that.
The Olbas Oil literature doesn't make sense to me, having said that I've had no experience using it for cats; eucalyptus contains phenols, which stand alone are considered toxic to cats. I can't think how anything could be more irritating to a cat's nose. Whatever is said about it, it's something that I would be hesitant of..As Angie says, steam and gentle wiping are completely neutral and safe. (I have not met a cat yet who hasn't turned their nose up at the 'strongness' of Vicks!). But if it works, then use it.
Metacam can also make a cat feel a bit poorly, it can be hard to metabolise, let alone with flu poor lad. Is he on it for pain? Let us know how he gets on today, prayers being sent out by the truckload for your gentle boy.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
25-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

FM, many prayers are coming to you tonight for your big boy, and for you too. Hang in there and I do hope that you have some success with your next vet visit.Are you able to get hold of a vapouriser (plug in) at all ? Over here, chemists hire them out. A few years ago, one of my cats had pneumonia and the vet gave me a vapouriser to use in his room continuously, to ease his breathing. I know it did help somewhat. Sending you and your gentle boy soothing hugs at this stressful time.

Catsey Senior

25-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Big , massive thank yous to everyone. I didn't know that about metacam, he's on it to bring his temperature down. He's been on it for 5 1/2 days now. I won't givehim any more. I'm wiping his nose and eyes with warm water and baby cotton wool, he purrs when I do it. OH is much better at giving him water so we will do the sugar/salt solution Truth, thank you very much for that. I will take out the Olbas oil, I didn't use too much as I know it makes my eyes water when I use it . I forgot it's Bank Holiday so it will be first thing tomorrow to the vets.

I suppose snotty nose at least means he's getting rid of the muck in his sinuses. The main worry is getting enough fluids in him. We will try very watered down chicken baby food today and maybe OH can make some chicken broth.

I will check out vapourisers and try and figure out a way of creating steam. I suppose I could boil the kettle in his room. We have a large metal bowl I could pour boiling water into that.

I'm very grateful to all for your suggestions, I will try them all. Next visit to the vet I will ask for someone else. There are 2 that we really like and Big Fooze likes them so hopefully they will be on duty. I will tell him about everybodies' hugs and vibes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
25-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

If the antibiotics arent working, ask for something else. With cat flu its a case of time & right meds. We had months of it gping round & round them all. One was hospitalised for 3 days because of it. What age is he?

Cat flu like human flu is airborne

Do hope he improves soon for you. Makes you feel so hopeless when you have one poorly

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
25-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

thinking of Big Foozy xxx