Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
21-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #21

Re: Increasingly Vocal Cats

Doesn`t each cat have their own range? Cleo is fairly quiet but the late Conker could talk for England-including tearing off a bandage and clearing off with a meow that said "fcuk this I`m going hunting"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Exactly!

I'm feeling a bit more awake now, at 2pm after my fourth cup of tea of the day

I am a huge softie, and even in my sleepy stupour, still gave Darcy a good head scratch when he climbed onto my chest, and cooed at him as he purred. And I couldn't help but laugh out loud when he put his little, whiskered kitty nose actually in my ear and continued to purr (I'm not sure if he's intelligent enough to have worked out it was my ear and it was sure to wake me up!)

I then laughed even more when he moved onto my OH and began to eat his hair at the root (he's never done it to him before), only to be swiftly knocked off the bed by a less tolerant and extrememly tired OH. He just jumped back on the bed straight after and cuddled up beside me.

I do find it hard to discipline them, and I can't imagine actually telling them off when they jump on the bed purring like that. I guess just repeatedly pushing them off and ignoring them is all I can do.

I was also woken up around 6.30 (after dozing off again) to Minsky's very loud meows infomring us he'd used his litter tray and would like it cleaned please - these are two very pampered puss' I tell you! (And, no, I didn't actually get up to clean his litter tray; I could just tell by his meow what was up, and my suspcions were confimed when I did finally get up for breakfast).
Pushing off doesn't work in my experience. They think it's another fun game Mom has thought up. Dandy was awful at that, bouncing and poking me with a paw ..only thing that worked was pulling the sheet over my head and ignoring him (difficult ). it did eventually work but took ages!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #23

I know you got your two lovely boys from a rescue meep - did you ever find out why they were there in the first place?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
22-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #24

Angie - they were put into the CP by their owner, as she was moving abroad to be with her boyfriend and couldn't take them with her. As far as I'm aware, they were with her since they were kittens and had been well looked after and loved.

But the story doesn't end there.

When they were first put into CP, they were adopted a first time by a 19 year old girl. She'd had cats all her life, and her mother had passed away recently, so she took them on to keep her company and for comfort (partly, anyway).

The CP lady heard nothing from her for 2 weeks, and got in touch by email and voicemail to ask how they were settling in, and to arrange a routine check. She heard nothing. A few days later the girls grandmother was in touch (who had been looking after her after the girl's mother passed away) and said the cats really weren't settling in well.

Apparently, since the day she took them on, they'd been hissing at her, clawing at her, snarling, scratching furiously at doors and windows to get out, and Minsky (or Georgie as he as known then) wasn't using the litter tray and instead going in the bath every time. And in the two weeks she'd had them, they hadn't calmed down before.

Unable to cope with their behaviour any longer, they were taken back into care by the CP. The glasgow branch as no cattery so all cats are kept in foster homes. The fosterer said, when she got them back, that they were not like the cats she'd known the first time she took them on. And they didn't settle with her the whole week they were with her; Minsky / Georgie was still using the bath and they were still desperately scratching at windows and doors to get out.

So I was told all this before I took them on. I was prepared to give them plenty of time, care and the space they needed to settle, as I thought to myself that no cat could live a full life of scratching, hissing and snarling - they'd have to settle eventually.

The day the CP lady brough them round to ours, she opened the doors to their carriers and out they wandered, tails held high and whiskers cocked forward. They sniffed around everywhere, explored the place, and walked under our legs in the couch. They allowed us to stroke them. Half an hour after she'd gone, Minsky used the litter box!

The second night they were sleeping on our bed. We've never had one hiss, scratch or snarl out of them. They've been nothing but affectionate and loving since we got them; friends who came to visit said they were amazed they were so laid back and friendly after having them only a few days.

Minsky has never used the bath, or anywhere but his litter tray, since we got him. Darcy scratches at the front door, but that's for attention, and they've never scratched at windows.

I and the CP lady don't know why they were so unhappy with their first adoptive home; but I can't imagine them ever being angry or unfriendly and it breaks my heart to think of them like that.

Apparently their first owner was very doting and brought them up from kittens with all doors opened and allowing them in everywhere, so on nights we've tried to shut them out the bedroom it's really not worked as they're so used to being allowed where ever they want.

----

So that's a brief history of my two boys before we got them! Slightly traumatic, and confusing. But now I think they're two very happy content cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #25

That's a truly remarkable story meep. I wonder what went wrong with their first placement. Who's to say - wrong atmosphere perhaps? It really is quite amazing how well and how quickly they settled in with you - I believe cats are extremely "tuned in" and you and your OH must just be on the same wavelength!

Any luck with finding a stockist for the timed feed bowls - I'm sure I found some yesterday when I was looking for something else!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
22-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #26

I do have a theory Angie, but it's not well-founded and I by no means want to bad mouth their previous, temporary owner.

A few days after getting them, I noticed Darcy's whiskers looked singed at the end. They were slightly darker in colour, looked thinner and a bit curly, and kind of fizzled out. Not all of them, but some. As were his longer eyebrow hairs. Minsky had some too, although not as many as Darcy.

So there is a possibility they accidentally came into contact with fire? They had no other markings and were not physically harmed by this if it happened, but putting their face into candle or lit gas grill could be enough to give them a huge fright!

It is just a theory and it is a bit shaky, so who knows! But I'm just so happy they've chosen to settle with us

Zooplus had the feeder I was after but it's currently out of stock until next week! Will order one then, fingers crossed!