Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
11-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #1

Increasingly Vocal Cats

I've had my boys 5 weeks now. Darcy has always been quite vocal, and often has conversations, where everytime he meows I say "what?" and he meows back. He has quite a high-pitched mewo and often goes "meo--oo---" and echos out in a whisper of a meow (quite pathetic really!)

Stravinsky, on the other hand, was always much more quiet, rarely meowing or purring. Darcy always was more dominant over him but I think in the past two weeks Minsky won a few play fights and Darcy completely receeded for a while, but now they're at even stevens. For this reason, Minsky is now much more outgoing, playful, cuddly and VOCAL.

I need to get this filmed, but it seriously sounds like he's being put through extreme pain sometimes! I've been eating my tea, heard a strangled "MRRROOOWWWLLLLARRRROOWLLLL" and I've rushed through to see him sitting happy as Larry watching the birds. So I've come to accept he has a very loud, very interesting meow! Unlike Darcy, who meows normally when he has someone to meow too, Minsky meows either when I've been playing with him and stopped, and most rcently, everytime he's finished with the litter tray. It's in the back room, so again I'll be watching tv, here the MRRAWWWLLAAAOOOWLL run through and find him sitting by a little present in the litter tray, looking at me as if to say "well, clean it up then!"

So he now lets us know everytime he's been to the toilet, bless him

I just wanted to share my experience, as I sometimes forget it's not been that long sine I got my boys, and just when I think they've settled in and really become themselves, they do something new to surprise me! (which is wonderful!)

Anyone else have experience of very vocal cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #2

Re: Increasingly Vocal Cats

Merlin has certainly become more vocal as he has aged. He used to give me the silent miaow a lot and had a little quack too. WAAA-OW usually meant "feed me". As he is probably a bit senile now, he wails a lot. It is usually because he seems to get disorientated and doesn't know where we are - we are never far away, but he sits or stands in our fairly echoey hallway and wails. It is heartrending and anyone who didn't know would think he was in pain, but he really isn't. As soon as he sees someone, he stops. He generally has become more vocal and has stopped "quacking".

The most amusing vocalisations were usually when he was watching the birds from inside the window. Then there would be a lot of what I can only call "monkey talk"!

Love to hear about how your boys are coming on meep - always entertaining!

Almost a Veteran Member

11-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #3

Awwh bless wee Merlin! I've got such a cute image in my head of a disorientated cat wailing in the hall, waiting for his pet to come and rescue him Your right, their meows can be heartrending, and I'm sure our neighbours must think we're some kind of loons what with the front door occasionaly shaking quite violently (that's when they scratch at it) and the sudden bursts of load MROWARing. I'd love to see a video of wee Merlin meowing away.

Cats never cease to amaze me. You think they just go 'meow' but I've found Darcy goes:

"maoooww"
"ah-ah-ahrgh"
"meooOOWWW" (that means feed me!)
and i love "prr-prr-rr-rr" the noise they make when the jump off something, or run through whilst meowing / purring.

As Minsky is a late starter, I've yet to work out his. Like I said, his is mainly the "MRRAOOWWRRARRLLL"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
14-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #4

Denis has a range of calls that all mean diffferent things and I can tell the difference between them. He has a very high pitched screetchy cry when he wants me. A low moody mew (his mouth stays open when hes done) which means pleeeeaaase can I go out now,(when he isn't getting his own way) a long drawn out cry when he gets excited such as running to the fridge door....
He has the usual prrups and general cries but there are more distinct ones that always mean the same thing

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-08-2008, 02:18 AM   #5

Unlike my Siamese, who could talk the back leg off a monkey, Leia's a quiet cat. She does a lot of silent miaows, usually accompanied by a "small starving cat" face when she thinks it's past time to be fed. And sort of a little prrrp noise when I can't find her and go thru the house calling "Where's Leia?". And a dreadful vocabulary when she's on the porch and sees another cat on her territory...hard to transcribe, sort of a combination growl and screech!

Patches wailed dreadfully when she got really senile . a sort of heartrending MMRRROOOOOO? But was fine when you comforted her.....

Sultan and Dandy were the strong silent types. Rarely had anything to say; Dandy had sort of a rusty little meow as if he hadn't used it much!

Almost a Veteran Member

15-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #6

[quote=dandysmom;500484] She does a lot of silent miaows, usually accompanied by a "small starving cat" face when she thinks it's past time to be fed. QUOTE]

I love that description! Darcy does the same thing. Makes the action of meowing, a small little 'eh' noise comes out ever so quitely or no noise at all, and they look so pitiful. And it's always to do when they feel hard done by with lack of food! Bless!

Almost a Veteran Member

15-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
Denis has a range of calls that all mean diffferent things and I can tell the difference between them. He has a very high pitched screetchy cry when he wants me. A low moody mew (his mouth stays open when hes done) which means pleeeeaaase can I go out now,(when he isn't getting his own way) a long drawn out cry when he gets excited such as running to the fridge door....
He has the usual prrups and general cries but there are more distinct ones that always mean the same thing
I love the fact that you can distinguish all of Denis' meows! I've now worked out one of Minsks; his "I've been for the toilet, please clean it up now!" meow. Charming He meows continually and quite distressed-sounding once he's been for a number 2 and won't stop till I've come through to find him and cleaned him up. Vain creature!

Hopefully I'll work out the rest soon, will make things a bit easier I'm sure!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
15-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #8

Beauty purrs, but apart from that the only time she makes a noise if if either there's something wrong or she's in pain.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #9

All 5 of my cats are very vocal. If they want something will keep on till they get it!!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: a mix lol
15-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #10

Meeko is pretty vocal when he gets called up to bed.
We shout tohim and usually he'll run up and into my room making little grumpy meows.
You can tell he's a old man lol.
He'll also do a little cry in the morning if he can hear people moving around and i havn't opened my bedroom door to let him out.

Minnie will squeal at the back door for no reason, holding her paw up like shes hurt. As soon as the bck doors are opened she runs in and straight to the front door where she expects to be let straight out.

Tigger will meow at you to greet you and when she wants food but not much else.

Tinkerbell meows whilst she runs around with her pompom in her mouth (she'll only play with the sparkly pompoms you can get for crafts) and is she loses one, she comes to find me and cries untill i go with her and find it.