Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
30-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #1

Kittens and Cats in need of help(not mine)

Please move if not in right place but i had to post it. There is 60 kittens and 23 Adult cats that will be put down by wednesday if no homes are found for them. RSPCA cant help either. I read this in a national news paper. Is there anything anyone can do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
30-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #2

Re: Kittens and Cats in need of help(not mine)

What about different branches of the CP???

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #3

Where are all these cats from?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
31-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #4

Cant post links but copied the article

The 60 kittens with just six days to live ... because no-one wants to give them a home in the credit crunch
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 5:00 PM on 30th October 2009

Resting in a row, these three kittens - just a few weeks old - are looking for nothing more than care and friendship.
But they - along with 57 other kittens and 23 adult cats - will be dead within the week, the victims of a the credit crunch.
Their current home normally operates as a last hope for cats, an 'overflow' facility which looks after animals when there is no room at other cat's homes.
But staff say because of the recession and dwindling charity donations the home is now closing down - with no home for the felines.
Enlarge Each of the tiny animals were found abandoned or homeless and were being cared for at the Decoy Kitten Rescue centre in Newton Abbot
And next Wednesday they will all be put down by lethal injection if new owners aren't found.
Each of the tiny animals were found abandoned or homeless and were being cared for at the Decoy Kitten Rescue centre in Newton Abbot, Devon.

More...Here's how it's done, kids: Mother bear catches two fish at a time in hunting lesson for hungry cubs

The rescue centre, a registered charity, was set up three years ago by animals lovers Claire and John Hardwicke.
Desperate Claire, 37, said: 'It breaks my heart because it feels like we've put these kittens on death row.
'If they have nowhere else to live we'll have no choice but to put them to sleep. I just can't bear it.

'The credit crunch has been an absolute nightmare for animal charities. So many people have been dumping their animals because of the recession and also donations are way down.

Enlarge Kitties in a row: But if nothing is done within a few days, these kittens will find out this is death-row with no chance of a pardon
'It's also meant there have been a lot more unwanted kittens because people can't afford to pay for vet's bills.

'We don't know what to do - we are so desperate. We were last hope for these kittens - they have nowhere else to go. It's a nightmare.'
Claire says unless a home can be found by Wednesday the 60 kittens and 23 adult cats will be put to sleep.

From the daily mail

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #5

That is heartbreaking .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #6

What a tragedy ..........

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #7

Offers of help and support are now coming in from around the world ......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8335305.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

Presumably the vet in question went to court in order for the bailiffs to be sent out. Be that as it may, offers of financial support does go some way to restore my faith in human nature. Hopefully the rescue will find a more helpful and understanding vet and those kittens will be well enough to be rehomed soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #9

Looks as if it will be OK; glad there was such a outpouring of support. I'm glad that is not my vet!! How callous......