Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Black & White DSH
11-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Overweight Cat - Which Food?

Hi Everyone

We adopted Jess from our local Cats Protection on the 1st of May! She is lovely!

She is 6 years old and unfortunately does have a weight problem, she is 5.8kg (was 5.9 when she went to the centre) and the vet has said she should be about 4.5kg!

When she left the centre she was being fed Pro-Plan Light biscuits and I did have to give her ID wet food for a couple of days as she had had an upset stomach! I wanted to let her have wet food still aswell as dry (hope you guys think its ok to feed wet and dry diet?)

I looked at different 'light' foods and she is now being weaned onto Hills Light diet - I also picked up some Hills Light wet food which she seems to like - I am feeding the recommended amount - and she definately does not get more than it says!

She went back to CP for her second vacc today and she hasn't lost any weight!

So I was wondering should I try her on a different food? Any ideas?

Also any ideas on how I can get her to move more? She will play with toys but doesn't really move that much, we got her a wind up mouse and she just sits and watches it! Hehe Cats hey! It is soooo hard that we can't let her out yet - I felt awful today that she hadn't lost any weight but we have been doing our best!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

Re: Overweight Cat - Which Food?

Have you tried Jess with a laser mouse?

My cat, Cassie is 13 and tends to lead a sedentary life now so I bought a laser mouse and she now has great fun chasing the beam everywhere and she appears to transform into a playful kitten for a while!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-Chase-.../dp/B000OLZI9I

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #3

Or possibly the feather "fishing pole" toy? My Leia who is 11 is also stout and sedentary but that will get her moving occasionally. Or crinkled up balls of metal foil?

Can't comment on the foods as we have different brands in the States. I prefer to use mostly wet with just a sprinkling of dry, as Leia had cystitis once.

Your vet might give you suggestions fot a slimming diet .... if she will eat it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #4

My Kizzy had a similar weight problem. She was fine when we got her from CP but after a while of being kept indoors for acclimatisation and probably eating a little too much, she was overweight. We got a kitten! Luckily, after the initial settling in, they get on well and the increased exercise has done her the world of good - she learned how to run about and play, she's only around 3 now and she is back to a correct weight now and is a very happy cat. It's also great fun watching them play chase.

The laser mouse is great too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
11-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

To be honest you haven't had her that long so I wouldn't be very worried about her not losing weight yet. Ask you vet if they do free weight clinics, ours do, they tend to push the diet food ( which you are doing already), or look into the manufacturers - with horse foods they often have a helpline that has a nutritionist that will advise over the phone, it might be the same with cats.

If it makes you feel any better, we took in a new cat on Friday- she is 8kgs so hopefully we can get a few pound off her before she sees the vet again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
14-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #6

We had guinness on the perscription food but it didnt help him much. He used to weigh around 9kgs but is under that now. He is now on whiskas tins a few biscuits and the occansional prawn. He has his favourite flavour and sometimes sulks if he doesnt get what he wants. I wouldnt be to worried like farthing said as you havent had her too long. I know cats loose weight gradualy and you might not notice yourself but others might.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #7

The principle is the same as it is with humans, good diet and excersise, the weight loss should be slow and steady.
The good news to what you have told us that she hasnt gained weight, so that's always a plus, it's always easier to gain than to lose. As you havent had her that long dont worry too much.