Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 6 Moggy's
01-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #1

Senior cat food

Is it really worth it or a waste of money?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #2

Re: Senior cat food

The idea behind senior cat foods is that as cat get older and less active, they need less protein. Nutritionists and vets make the connection that a high protein diet and illnesses like CRF are linked, there may be some truth in that but from what I have read, it's the high phospherous content that does more damage to the kidneys rather than the protein. Many senior foods have lower phos and protein. For me personally, as cats have a completely different metabolism from dogs, they need a high protein diet whatever their age and many of the tests done by nutritionists etc were on dogs and rats.
I'd personally feed a good quality food with the least phos content and if possible have them blood tested, perhaps on a yearly basis, to check kidney function.
I can give you links on how to calculate phos content etc if you would like.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #3

Cassie has been on Whiskas Senior cat food for a couple of years now on the advice of the vet .....it took her a while to get used to it but she eats it ok with it now.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #4

Possibly I am a bad mom, as I've never changed to senior food. My cats have always been determined what they would or wouldn't eat, so they have continued on their regular adult food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #5

I never change foods either, mine all eat just the adult one...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Possibly I am a bad mom, as I've never changed to senior food. My cats have always been determined what they would or wouldn't eat, so they have continued on their regular adult food.
Cassie was changed to Senior as she was getting overweight, also she isn't a very active cat ......

Catsey Junior

02-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
The idea behind senior cat foods is that as cat get older and less active, they need less protein. Nutritionists and vets make the connection that a high protein diet and illnesses like CRF are linked, there may be some truth in that but from what I have read, it's the high phospherous content that does more damage to the kidneys rather than the protein. Many senior foods have lower phos and protein. For me personally, as cats have a completely different metabolism from dogs, they need a high protein diet whatever their age and many of the tests done by nutritionists etc were on dogs and rats.
I'd personally feed a good quality food with the least phos content and if possible have them blood tested, perhaps on a yearly basis, to check kidney function.
I can give you links on how to calculate phos content etc if you would like.

Yes please Elaine xx

Catsey Junior

02-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Your not a bad mum because you've never changed them over to senior food, our oldies are all very active and love the senior food but i just wondered if it would help them at all or if it was pointless xxxx

Catsey Veteran

02-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #9

http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional...#calorie_needs

http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm

These links are from the feline CRF site but I think that as many cats get older, more and more are losing kidney function not just because of diet but because of the aging process itself. I have other links and info and will look them out for you later.

Catsey Veteran

02-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #10

Whether you feed senior or not doesnt make you a bad mum to your cat. We all do what we feel is right whether under the guidance of a good vet or not. If you think it works for your cat then go for it. We can only ever do our best by them.