Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggy
11-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #1

Hungry or greedy cat ?

I feed my cat twice a day, in the morning he has half a pouch of wet food together with half a bowl of urinary biscuits (from the vet). In the evening he has bowl of biscuits, he clears his bowl within about 15 mins. I occasionally give him a little more before I go to bed which he happily eats. Is he having enough to eat, as I dont want to over feed him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #2

Re: Hungry or greedy cat ?

Usually you will find guidance of how much to feed on the packaging, depending upon your cat's weight. Have a look - that should give you a good indication as to whether you are feeding him enough. It is a bit more tricky to work out as you are feeding both wet and dry. Good luck.

How old is your cat btw?

Cats owned: Moggy
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

He is an adorable loving three year old rescue cat. I have had him just over a month now. Just been chatting to a friend of mine at work and she feeds her cats about the same. Thanks for your reply.

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #4

What's his name??? If you have time, perhaps you'd like to post a photo - we do love pictures here!

Just a thought - has he been wormed? I expect if he came from a rescue centre he should have been. Does he cry for more food? Bless you for re-homing him.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
13-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #5

I usually feed 2 Whiskas pouches a day, plus Royal Cannine dried left all day for him to graze on...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
14-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #6

i would say there are many variables as to how much food your cat needs...
at the moment i am acutely aware of how much my cats get because one of them (George) is on a diet because he is overweight... obviously he didn't get that way overnight...so it's really important that your cat doesn't get too much food on a regular basis..
The variables include... if he is an indoor cat or an outdoor cat.. outdoor cats will expend more energy whilst climbing/hunting/exploring outdoors.. how active is he if he is indoors all the time?
Also the type of food... what is the calorie and carb content.. a lot of foods are made with lower calorie content now for indoor cats because they are not as active as their outdoor friends..
You mention that you get his urinary biscuits from the vet...the vet will be easily able to work out how many grams of the biscuits your cat should be eating per day on the basis of its calorie content and his weight..and if the vet has the nutritional details of the wet food that you give your cat he will be able to take that into account as well..
Because my George is overweight i didn't want the same thing happening to our new baby Harry... she has just turned 1 and she gets a 1/4 can of wet food in the morning and dry throughout the day..but i weigh out the dry food so she doesn't get too much...but i know that she is having all her nutritional needs met
That being said... some cats will eat just for the sake of eating... George is one of them..
good luck!

Catsey Veteran

14-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Jo is so right! My Kizzy got overweight rather quickly because I was not weighing her biscuits. Now I do, she is more active and is, hopefully, back to a healthy weight.