Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
28-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #1

Complementary Food??

Can someone tell me what complementary food means? Merl's on Sheba Prime Cuts at the moment because he's gone off practically all the other wet foods but it says it's 'complementary' food on the package.

Does that mean this Sheba isn't as good for him as other cat food? Or is it ok to keep giving it to him as long as he's having the dry food as well? He has Wellbeloved dry food the rest of the time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #2

Re: Complementary Food??

It means that it doesnt have the complete nutritional value to be used as a complete food and should be fed as a treat rather than a main stay diet or alongside a complete food.

Catsey Junior

28-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

So I could give it to him every day provided he got his proper measure of Wellbeloved? Or is it bad for him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

I'd keep it for a treat rather than daily if it were my cat; I'm not big on dried food because of the problem of possible cystitis. Could you get him back on another brand of wet by very gradually adding a bit of it to the Sheba until he was eating it again?

Catsey Veteran

28-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #5

Yes, you could give along side his daily requirement of JWB with no ill effects.
I have not been a big fan on dried foods for quite a while but am now completely against them. I'd never tell any one what to feed their cats or condem them for it but just be cautious. Make sure your cat drinks very well and be vigilant for any signs of dehydration etc.

Catsey Junior

28-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

I must say, I didn't like the idea of dry food either but it's the only food he eats without a fuss. Every brand I try, he eats for a few days then refuses (usually after I've just gone and bought a multipack). This Sheba is the only one he's been happy to eat every day.

I figured that half dry half wet would be preferable at least, but it's getting trickier to find the wet half! I've tried reintroducing previous brands to him after a few weeks, but he won't touch them. I thought I was onto a winner with this stuff, then I noticed the 'complementary' bit. My OH thinks I'm obsessing and that it doesn't really matter but I did all the research before we got him and I know it's important.

And he loves his water, as long as it's running!

Catsey Veteran

28-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #7

I dont want or mean to scare monger, I am only talking from my experiences and the ailments my cats have had. Many cats are just fine on dried foods or a mix of half and half but many aren't, all I can really say is to be vigilant to signs of poor hydration.
I guess you have tried a fair few varieties of wet foods then huh? Have you tried high-life, natures menu, applaws, to name a few. Other than that zooplus does many others and often have offers, might be worth a look.

Catsey Junior

28-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #8

We've tried Whiskas, Felix, Applaws, Science Plan, Nature's Menu, Pets at Home brand, Co-Op brand, Royal Canin and different varieties of the main ones. I haven't tried IAMs (bad publicity) but I hadn't heard of High Life. Will investigate. In every instance, he licks the jelly or gravy off and leaves the chunks. Can't work out why.

I know exactly what you mean about the dry food concerns. Merlin is my first cat so I did a lot of research before we got him and found out all about cats being obligate carnivores and what the problems are with dry food. We got him a running water bowl when we found out he preferred it, just to make sure he drank lots. It's funny how other people make you feel neurotic though - I know people whose cats have lived on the same dry food for years and think I'm spoiling him by giving him both. They think I'm being wet when I explain why.

Catsey Veteran

28-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #9

I know what you mean, people think I over react but after nursing an old CRF cat and now a young cat with liver and pancreas issues, I always trust my instincts.
You are your cats best advocate and you know them better than any one else. If in doubt, check it out. Better to look neurotic than have a serious condition go by undetected.

Catsey Junior

28-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #10

That Hilife stuff looks good, thanks for the recommendation. I'll see where I can get it. Sounds like it might be almost as 'prime' as the Sheba and it says 'complete' - I checked this time! Can't believe I didn't notice it before.