Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #1

To put on weight

As many of you know Alfie (only 6 yrs old) has a heart condition for which he is on digitalis. His heart rate is still a bit above normal and the result is his metabolism is such that he does not keep on any weight.

He is bright and happy but has very little stamina. He has a good appetite, eating little and often. His food is offered ad lib.

He can be quite fussy. Just now he is on WHiskas senior and whiskas dried food.

I am really concerned about his weight and although I accept he is never going to be a big heavy boy, I want to try and get a little bit of covering on his spine and ribs. Especially with winter coming on.

What would you suggest would be a good food to add weight?

Any ideas gratefully received.

CM and Alfie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: To put on weight

Would kitten food help, do you think? I know it's higher in calories.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #3

I think the kitten food is a good idea but speak to you vet first. When maisey went too the vets on tuesday he told me too take her off it because it probaly was causing her colitas. Gabby who is very skinny also eats everything as well but is realy thin but has gained a slight amount on the whiska adult

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies and ideas. He won't eat kitten wet - I never thought about kitten dry tho'.

Will maybe try some of that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #5

Does he like fish CM? You could try little bits of sardine in oil - just thinking of the calorific value of oil. You could also try salmon oil, which you can buy for dogs but cats sometimes like it too. That's quite high in calories. I got some for Merlin but unfortunately he didn't like it!

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #6

Oil's a good idea if he likes it and it agrees with him. Misty always got a small saucer of the oil from people tuna and loved it ...had lovely coat. But she didn't need to put on weight; a portly little puss!

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #7

Thinking about the salmon oil CM - I would be willing to send you up a sample for you to try on Alfie.

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #8

Thanks for the offer angieh - I've tried salmon oil and he won't touch it or sardines. I can't encourage him to lap at any oil but thinking DM perhaps mixing it in with tuna might help. He does like tuna but we but the one in brine. Will get a small tin in oil for him.

I was also thinking about one of these 'only need to feed a tiny amount' brands of food. If he got that ad lib then it may help too.

It is just so sad to see my beautiful boy so skinny. Vet gave him a steroid injection a few weeks ago to try and stimulate his appetite but did say it is really not the appetite that's the problem.

Honestly don't they make us worry so.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #9

CM I do hope adding a little of the oil from people tuna to his will help a bit. The people brand I use has olive oil, which is heart-healthy for us; don't know if it is for cats, but doubt if it would hurt. Misty also loved the juices (not oil) from tinned salmon. Leia abhors both of them ! You're soooo right about worrying us......

Catsey Veteran

05-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #10

Isn't it just the way that they won't touch what might help them .......... gentle cuddle for Alfie, CM. ((((HUGS)))) for you too - many of us here understand how you must feel.