Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #11

Re: Advice please

Maisey is certainly a good mum! But enough is enough, hope the kits get the hang of the milk and food quickly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
23-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #12

I am trying to hard i am wondering. If i feed Maisey i always try the kittens with food. They would rather play then eat or drink. Should i try them before Maisey feeds them. One of them did drink water but again is the largest. They seem so freightened of the dishes and run backwards. I have left a dish of mushed up food for them and keeping an eye on them as the others like eating it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

Try getting them drinking first - that's easier for them. Then add a little kitten food to make it as runny as poss, gradually increasing the amount. They will get the hang of it. Gently dip their nose to it and sometimes the action of licking their nose will give the idea. Or try getting them to lick food off your finger. It is the smell that will get them going as well as the texture.

Try to keep mum away for a wee while then do a trial feed when they're hungry.

Have fun!!!!

Catsey Veteran

23-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #14

I usualy have to shut the others in the living room so the kittens can run around without me worrying about the others hurting them, they dont its just me that panicks. Maisey hates being shut aways from her babies she crys. I am having fun, my fingers are always smelling of cat food at the moment.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #15

What sort of dishes are you using Jane? I think kittens find a plate or saucer easier than a bowl.

Catsey Veteran

23-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #16

They have a saucer and also a plastic picnic plate. The bowl that one of them drank water out of is about 2 inches high. At the moment 2 are fast asleep behind the settee and Maisey is washing the other ones

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #17

Just keep calm when you're trying to feed them! Don't worry if it doesn't work, just keep at it gently and calmly. It's good that they have taken to the Lactol. I wouldn't worry about Maisey being in the room with the kittens while you are trying to feed them unless she gets upset by it. I would also try to feed them before she does, then they'll be hungrier. Good luck!

Banned

Cats owned: Moggie
23-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado
Maisey is a realy brilliant mum. She feeds them when they want too. There 5 wks on Friday but are not interested in food at all. I think Maisey has had enough or getting to the end of feeding them. Is there anything i can give her a boost with or should i be supplementing there milk with a kitten replacement one. They know where the litter tray is and i have to stop them eating it. i use catsan
Gosh, you must start weening these kittens asap Giving them lactol is only going to delay this even more imo you should not be using this. For theirs and their mothers health, you must try harder, heating the kitten food should help (they are used to mothers milk being warm). Please listen to the good advise you got from others on your first thread on this topic. The two smaller ones really need to be weened as a matter of urgency, they are clearly getting less milk from mummy cat and you could loss them. Kittens go down quick if not getting enough calories. Good luck!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
23-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #19

what kind of food are you feeding?
if your deperate try sone gently cooked chiken or chicken liver Most kittens fall for this although only use this as a starter as it can spoil them.
also start mixing the milk replacer in to the mushed up cat food

Catsey Veteran

23-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #20

They have smalled itbut thats it. They arnt that little but the biggest has always been the biggest. When they got weighed at the vets las wednesday the heaviest weighed 1lb 3oz and the smallest 1lb. The smallest was the last to be born