Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
27-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #11

Re: Molly's overweight..help needed.

Molly and her sister look lovely happy cats. Quite happy to pose for the camera, it seems.
I would also say she is not at all 'obese', just well covered as they say

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #12

As others have said, it's hard to tell from the pic if she's actually overweight, but she doesn't look it to me. My Leia is 6 k , but she's a big cat... long and tall; vet never said anything about obesity at her last visit. My personal preference is for wet food, but as she prefers dry we compromise: she gets a sprinkling of dry over the wet. She had cystitis once which is why I avoid dry as much as possible. I also add some water to her wet food.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Black&White & 1 Tabby
27-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Oh poor Tiddles, how very sad.

Reading that article made me realise how wrong my vets advice has been and I feel a bit naive in believing what they tell me is the right thing to do.

Molly will definately be having wet and dry from now on, with added water - thanks for the tip.

Susan & Molly aka "Tubby"

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
28-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #14

My Sandie was a big boy.. ginger and white cat weighting in at a comfortable 8.5kg..Millie was 4kg at the time vet said they were both overweight and sold me a bag of Hills Science brand..which made Millie sick..most of it went in the bin..and i carried on feeding as normal..the food they were used to. and enjoyed..tc

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
28-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #15

My boys are normally all around 5-6kg but they are big lads. The girls have not been weighed since they were spayed but were all between 3-4kg. They are all quite small cats. But all of them have good muscle tone, even for indoor cats. One of my boys has been ill and is currently 3.5kg but he's really ribby and skinny and he used to be the biggest cat. He will definitely go over 4kg to be at a nice weight.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
29-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #16

OK.... Hello RCube & Molly!!

Firstly - all cats are different... RigbyBigBear (as the name suggests) is approx 8kg and only slightly obese due to steriod usage for his tempremental bladder! But being the size of a small horse he carrys it well (Yes Elaine fotos will follow eventually!! )

Secondly - Different cats eat differently... Mine love their dry diet & i have filter water fountains & bowls of water for them to drink from... Each day they get 1/2 pouch of wet food as a treat but if I try & mix water into Bears dry mix he won't eat it and will just sit in the kitchen until I change it or give him a pouch....

Thirdly - Don't always believe what your vet tells you... I am very lucky to have several great vets at the clinic I use (some not so great ones too!! ) and I also google alot and ask those who I am in contact with through the rescue to get a variety of opinions & advice. I have (to my never ending disgust ) heard many vets recommend 'perscription only' diets which allegedly are ONLY available from your vet.... WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! The internet has opened a whole new world of reasonably priced alternatives... one of which is....
[link removed]

There are several varieties of light/low cal food, both wet & dry which you can get delivered to your door and using this link donates 1% of each spend to Castaways Animal Rescue association... (thats where I volunteer ) just use our link, create an account and away you go... just use the link everytime you order & we benefit too!! I would suggest trying several different sorts (Hills & Royal Canin are good...) and mixing small amounts in with her usual food, slowly getting less & less old food in the mix until she is just on the low cal version... if it is dry she prefers then try mixing in water or gravy to make it more palatable... hope this helps....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
29-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #17

My Solomon weighs about 5.4 Kg which is rather too much according to the vet. I do try to keep him on a strict diet -he's on Hills i/d dry food - but because of a low white cell blood count he's on steroids which unfortunately increase his appetite! I make sure he gets plenty of exercise though by playing with him. I've not heard of laser pens, where can you get them?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Cat
My Solomon weighs about 5.4 Kg which is rather too much according to the vet. I do try to keep him on a strict diet -he's on Hills i/d dry food - but because of a low white cell blood count he's on steroids which unfortunately increase his appetite! I make sure he gets plenty of exercise though by playing with him. I've not heard of laser pens, where can you get them?
You can get them here

Just be careful you don't shine the light into your cat's eyes

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
29-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Cat
I've not heard of laser pens, where can you get them?
Pets at Home sell them or any decent online pet store. Some independent pet shops may sell them too.

Like the others have said, that is not obese for a cat. My Tigger is on Hills Light, not because she is terribly overweight, but because she is an indoors only cat. I used to feed her Pro Plan biscuits (what she was fed on at my local Cats Protection shelter) but she was getting rather fat. She seems to cope ok, plus she has been on it for over a year. She used to gets tons of hair balls with the Pro Plan, but she never gets them with the Hills. She is fed Felix Senior meat even though she is not a senior puss, because it is lower in fact than ordinary adult meat (or so I am told).

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Black&White & 1 Tabby
30-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #20

Well Molly was back onto wet food last night (with a touch of water) and she really enjoyed it. She is not a fussy eater and seems to eat whatever is put in front of her. I will however swap over her dry food to a lighter version and see how she goes, weightwise. As long as Molly is not hungy and she is happy, then I am happy too.

My 2 previous cats, Patch & Bobbie were fed on wet & dry and lived up to the ages of 15 & 17. So obviously we were doing something right!

Oh and the laser pen is on order, dont think her latest "toy" a paper bag will last much longer!