Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Charlie, the rescue kitten :)
08-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Kitten wont drink water.

We adopted an eight week old kitten from a shelter yesterday & hes settled in brilliantly. The only query we have is that he hasnt touched a drop of water since we got him home. He has had some kitten milk & some wet food (Not so keen on dry, so poss doesnt need as much moisture) but just wanted to check that its alright? Thanks X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #2

Re: Kitten wont drink water.

As long as he is drinking kitten milk, and eating wet food, I would say he is getting enough...I had foster kittens who would only drink kitten milk to begin with, then they suddenly went off it and started drinking water...I would always make sure he has access to a bowl of water...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Charlie, the rescue kitten :)
08-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #3

Thanks for reassuring Glad its quite normal, He has access at all times to fresh water so hopefully he'll come round to the idea sometime soon X

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage as there is quite a high percentage of water in wet cat food.

A few of us here add a spoonful of water to the cat food, mix it in and the cat will lap it up like gravy...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
08-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #5

I agree with what Mags and Moli have said if he is drinking cat milk and eating wet which in most wet foods is usually about 60 to 80% water he will be OK, but I would still have some fresh water down, both my cats favour the water fountain that I have.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I wouldn't worry too much at this stage as there is quite a high percentage of water in wet cat food.

A few of us here add a spoonful of water to the cat food, mix it in and the cat will lap it up like gravy...
I'm one who does, my girl loves the extra gravy, laps it up before eating the wet food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #7

Good advise here Frog - no need to worry. You could try adding a little water to Charlie's kitten milk and increase the quantity very slowly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #8

I would also say add a couple of teaspons of water to the wet food and increase the water as you increase the food....it works wonders for their kidneys too as the years pass on.

Cats owned: Charlie, the rescue kitten.
Frog2 is Male
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #9

Im the other half of Frog, thankyou for all the advice. We will try your advice as were new to this and these pieces of advice sound like a good idea, Thankyou..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #10

Welcome to Frogs other half, we have all been new to cat owning, but you will find Catsey a wealth of information....Even people like me who have had cats 20 odd years very often ask for advice, which is always given....
Enjoy Catsey.................