Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #1

What does that smell remind you of....

The sense of smell has to the one sense that is capable of evoking memories and taking us back to a time or even a moment in time - what "smell" does that for you?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #2

Re: What does that smell remind you of....

For me its carbolic soap you rarely see it or smell it these days but if I do catch a whiff then it takes me straight back to my Nan's back kitchen - she always had carbolic soap.

Another is cigar smoke and satsuma's (or oranges) remind me of Christmas my Dad always smokes a cigar on Christmas day.

Or the scent of Stargazer lilies take me back to the first time I got my own bouquet of flowers

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
20-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #3

Swarfega (sp) has to be when I was young 4-5ish and my Dad worked on machines and cars.
Cigar smoke, again my Dad smoked them.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #4

Mothballs bring back memories of my grandmother's house Lavender reminds me of my mum ....and like Kazz satsumas are definately Christmas

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #5

Cigars......remind me of after midnight mass on Christmas Eve when we were kiddies. My uncle Harold would enjoy them with some whiskey at our house after mass

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #6

Appparently it's the most eveocative of the senses - even when everything else has gone, smells have the power to evoke distant memories.

Neighbours were trimming the hedge with a petrol engine hedge trimmer a couple of weekends ago..............I spent a couple of hours feeling sick and remembering standing by the side of a Standard 8 on the outskirts of Yeovil being violently sick a hundred years ago when I was a child! I was the world's worst traveller as a child and am still not great now.

Not the nicest of aroma-induced memories but incredibly strong

Nice ones are Christmas-when-I-was-a-child ones like the others - cigars and tangerines!

Catsey Junior

20-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #7

Ivory soap............ that is what we always used as children.
Warm apple pe - **mom**
Old Spice men's after shave **dad**

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
20-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #8

again as for most its satsumas/tangerines takes me right back to Christmas as child (a Christmas party in the local club where u had an apple, Tangerine and a dance)

then very very strong vinegar, i smelt it a few days ago and it took me right back to my Grans houes when i was young and she would do this type of onion salad socked in vinegar mmmmmmm

grass fires, yes i know a strange 1 lol but living in a small village as a child there was loads most summer on the surounding mountings makes me feel like im 8 again