Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
05-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Intruder coming in and spraying. HELPPPPP!!!!!

I'm having a problem with an intruder tabby cat coming into my house. His visits seem to be getting more frequent and he's upsetting my other cats and starting fights with them.

The first thing I should say is that i have a cat-proofed garden. I bought one of the kits from Secure-a-Cat and installed it before I got my cats a couple of years ago. It consists of netting that comes in at an angle on metal brackets. I have never had any problems with it and my cats are unable to leave the garden and other cats are unable to get in.............until now!!

The tabby first came in a couple of weeks ago and I shooed him away to watch how he got out. There was a small gap between where the netting ended and the side of my house and he was getting through there. So, boyfriend came over and tried to fix the netting to the wall and eliminate the gap. (the trouble is that there is a window there, so it's not easy to do)

We thought we'd done it, but Tabby cat appeared again a few days later and the netting had come away from the wall. Boyf fixed it to the wall again with bigger hooks this time, but a few days later there was Tabby cat.

So, then boyf (not wanting to be beated by tabby cat!) came over with some wood which he drilled and fixed around the window on the wall of the house and then fixed the netting to that. There were no gaps and this seemed to be a success, until a couple of nights ago when I got woken up by hissing, turned on the light and there was Tabby cat on the landing!!

Whenever the cat sees me he runs away and won't let me anywhere near him. My cats don't seem to mind him, perhaps as they are used to living in a "pack" but if they get too close to him then he attacks them. This caused a problem the other night when Kuta got too close, he went for her and as she turned to run away, she ran into Bernard who then went for her as well, as he was frightened.

The other main problem with this intruder is that he's spraying. I can't even find where he's sprayed on his last visit, but my house is beginning to stink of pee.

The other problem is that I'm wondering if he's an entire male (as his spray smells?!) and I have Lily who is an entire female and the last thing I want is for him to have his way with her!

I just don't know what to do. I thought of getting some of those spike things that people put on the tops of their fences (plastic) but I don't want to hurt him. I've also thought about putting bells or a windchime there to try and scare him off, but would this work?

I'm at my wits end now, my cats are stressed and my house smells of pee. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #2

Re: Intruder coming in and spraying. HELPPPPP!!!!!

Could you change your cat door to a security one and give all your gang the collars with magnets? Wouldn't stop him coming into the garden but it would keep your house pee-free.
Otherwise I'd say discourage him from the garden with a water pistol or hand claps or pss, pss pss, but you have to see him to do that.
Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #3

........... or maybe you should have kept that doggie!

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #4

I have thought about that too DM, but I don't think it would work. I have had to take the door out of my existing cat-flap as my little guys couldn't work it!!! So, I actually just have a cat-hole in the back door that they come and go through. I think if I fitted a door at all, then my lot wouldn't know how to get outside.

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #5

hahahaha - just seen your second post!!!! A guard dog in the garden!?!?! Hmmmmm. I wish I could!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #6

This is a tough one. Other than restricting your cats access to the outdoors and removing your flap all together I am unsure what to suggest. I would say that there is every good chance that this cat is entire and the fact that Lily is entire too is the reason for his visits. Trouble is you will need to be vigilant when you let Lily out in the garden as he is obviously able to get into your garden by some means. I don't want to worry you but sometimes queens can have silent calls, be in heat but without calling, how old is Lily?

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
This is a tough one. Other than restricting your cats access to the outdoors and removing your flap all together I am unsure what to suggest. I would say that there is every good chance that this cat is entire and the fact that Lily is entire too is the reason for his visits. Trouble is you will need to be vigilant when you let Lily out in the garden as he is obviously able to get into your garden by some means. I don't want to worry you but sometimes queens can have silent calls, be in heat but without calling, how old is Lily?
I was going to speak to one of the other breeders at the show I'm going to tomorrow about this Fran - as she's 18 months old next month and hasn't called yet. I was wondering if she could have had a silent call. The last thing I need is half tabby kittens tho!! (although I'm sure they'd be gorgeous!) plus if he's a stray/feral he could have FIV or anything. I just don't know what to do.

I have thought about blocking the cat flap up at night, but he seems to come in during the day too. He was in at 10am the other day and goodness knows what goes on when I'm not at home.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #8

Try putting some stone in a tin and shaking it to scare hi away. It might work. Or chick water at him.

Best of luck
Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
she's 18 months old next month and hasn't called yet
All cats and indeed breeds are different, however, 18 months old does seem rather late to not have had a call at all. Bliss is just 8 months old and is just having her very first call at the minute. Have you noticed any other changes that might indicate that she has had a call. Rolling about the floor, extra loving, peeing in inappropriate places, extra cleaning of her vulva??
I'd be concerned r.e. this tom cat Charlie, do what you need to to keep him away from her because I feel almost certain that Lily is the reason for him visiting

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
All cats and indeed breeds are different, however, 18 months old does seem rather late to not have had a call at all. Bliss is just 8 months old and is just having her very first call at the minute. Have you noticed any other changes that might indicate that she has had a call. Rolling about the floor, extra loving, peeing in inappropriate places, extra cleaning of her vulva??
I'd be concerned r.e. this tom cat Charlie, do what you need to to keep him away from her because I feel almost certain that Lily is the reason for him visiting
I spoke to Lily's breeder and her mum didn't call for the first time until she was 14 months old, so I guess Lily isn't that far behind

I don't have any idea if she could have had a silent call, as she is always rolling on the floor and very loving, has never peed in anywhere other than the tray and I don't think has been overly cleaning her bits.

I just don't know what to do about this intruder. I will do anything I can. I can't stand his spraying and I can't risk him having his way with Lily.

I just don't know what else to do.....