Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two rescues and one feral
12-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #31

Re: Raw food diet?

Whatever you are happy with works for you and the same for me. I have fed raw and mixed many years now; it is after all natural for them to eat raw so we enjoy it all. The best time for me as I live on a small pension was when I lived near enough to a chicken factory to buy chicken necks at E3 for 10 k. Food grade and well inspected and checked these days. I still prefer they get raw to anything processed as I prefer unprocessed for myself. Now we all share a chicken. I eat the white meat. cooked, and the cats and dogs eat the rest, raw... Family!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
12-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #32

Marigold, my cats also LOVE a raw chicken neck and have one daily There is always a great deal of growling and guarding of one's chicken neck My dogs have always had a raw diet of beef, chicken mince and necks, chicken hearts and green tripe and have done well on it. My cats have a mix of chicken mince , beef mince and commercial food. I say, whatever works for the cats, their owners and the budget has got to be good.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #33

I have no real problem with people who feed raw, I believe they are doing what they think is best for their animals.
I do get angry when I read comments, that if you don't feed raw it means you aren't doing the best for your animal.
I'm not a numpty by any means and I do not believe raw is the perfect diet, like I don't believe whiskas or a dry diet is, however I would not critise as I do believe people do what they think is best.
Having looked into it I feel there are issues with raw, which for me, especially having mainly oldies and poorlies to feed, is too risky to consider.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #34

I also need to add, I lost a 7 year old, apparently healthy cat to toxoplasmosis.... So there are risks from bacteria and other parasites and not all cats are 'protected'!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
12-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #35

I know as a shepherd that toxoplasmosis is very prevalent in kittens but quite rare in adult cats. Toxoplasmosis causes ewes to lose their lambs and is dangerous to pregnant women. I feed raw mince to Fecto, who loves it. The dogs get raw chicken pieces. If I could get chicken mince at a good price I would feed that to the cats as well. All 6 cats eat different things. I am discovering Huggins prefers fish, chicken and raw mince. I try to feed all my cats on what they prefer, except Big Fooze who has to have grain free. He loves tuna and boiled ham.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short-haired cats
15-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #36

Bacteria will probably don't stand a chance in (healthy) cats stomach with all the acids in the there.