Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
Mat is Male
02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #1

Should i be concerned?

Hi,

As some know i have two 8 weeks old kittens, smudge (male) and foxy (female).

Both seem to be coming on great and have taken to me greatly.

Smudge however meows allot and constantly wants my attention, i have no problem with this at all but his sister foxy barely meows but smudge meows allot, as soon as i start playing with him and his sister or just him he stops, as soon as he comes to me and snuggles up he meows for a bit then kneads and falls asleep, he seems fine health wise. Im just worried he's asking for something or maybe greaving for his mum?

He purs when he's being stroked/rubbed and kneads sometimes, as im new to owning kittens im must worried and wanted to know if this sounds perfectly normal to others?

He seems he Wants effection constantly and loves snugging and his head under the blanket with me on couch and i notice he likes anywhere around chest area or around kneck, maybe because he sees it as hearing his mums heartbeat.?

I managed to get both of them to sleep in there nice fluffy bed today and he seemed very relaxed even when he noticed his sister was not there, this is good to be honest as usually he wont settle on his own unless he's cuddled into his sister. They play like mad together and definitely not separable.

I just feel sad hearing him meowing so often as im worried it maybe something else.

I notice he only seems to want to eat dry food, he does seem to be drinking enough afterwards, i have tried several different flavours, his sister however seems to prefer the wet food more. Both the wet food and dry food say 'complete' on the box and pouches.

Im not sure if i should be concerned about this, meaning maybe he will take to the wet food soon, maybe loosing his mum and previous family and new home he's feeling a little home sick?

I managed to clip both their claws to when they was asleep on me as wanted to not stress them, i rub their paws when their relaxing on me so they get used to this feeling, they barely flinched and did not mine at all. They seemed very relaxed and peaceful.

I just want the best i can for them obviously.

Thanks for an suggestions and advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #2

Re: Should i be concerned?

Mat - I am sure there is nothing to be worried about with wee Smudge's miaowing - he's just talking to you. Some cats are more vocal than others and I've found boys more vocal than girls. He's young and sounds as if he is comforted by you giving him attention, he may grow out of it as he gets older and feels more independent.

Cats owned: NA
Mat is Male
03-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for replying

Strange thing but after posting last night he has improved allot, he's not meowing as often, he is happy to play and wonder longer on his own, he only meows a bit now when he comes to me for cuddles etc, I am so happy and feel ok and managed to sleep better last night after a big improvement, he's clingy still but not as much as he was.

Thanks
Mathew

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
03-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

My wee boy cat used to almost "howl" during the night for quite some time when we got him. He's settled now though and I actually manage to get a sleep! He is very vocal during the day though!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #5

I've had cats who yell at me all the time and others who hardly utter a peep. My advice would be not to stress about it too much. You're doing the right thing in asking questions and it's great to see that you're so concerned about your cats' welfare and so keen to learn more about them.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
06-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Hi Mat, it sounds like you are doing a great job. I didn't realise how much work a kitten was until I got Lester as Tiger was 1 when I got him as a rescue. Tiger is very vocal and regularly chats away, Lester only makes a noise when he's getting fed/ wants fed. You are in for a lot of fun with your 2 little bundles, can't wait to see more photos