Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: na
19-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

New kitten trying to bite!

Hi I have had Ruby my six month old kitten for five days now. She is very affectionate and comes for cuddles and strokes all the tie. However now after a couple of minutes she will grab my hand in her paws and then try and bite! Why is she doing this and how should I get her to stop, she just looks at me like Im daft if I shout "NO!"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

Re: New kitten trying to bite!

As a rescue, little Ruby probably hasn't had many people willing to spend time and play with her, she doesn't know how to behave. Saying NO firmly is fine, put her on the floor and stop paying her attention, but as you want to bond with her, it may be better if you always have some sort of toy in your pocket at bring that out to distract her when she tries to grab your hand. Also, try not to pull your hand away - the pulling away will provoke her instinctive predator/prey behaviour, letting your hand go relaxed, although it may hurt it won't be nearly as bad and she will let go.

Do hope that helps.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
19-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

I have also found that they get quite excited and start trying to claw and bite! My two often start out playing about then they seem to get a bit too excited or they get fed up and start to sctratch and bite, using those back feet to push your fingers/hand into their mouth. It does hurt and immediataly they do that, I stop and either turn away and stop playing with them, or pick them up and put them down away from where we are playing. This usually works.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
19-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

We just distract. As Angie says keep toys handy. We say "Ah Ah" All kittens and puppies do this, good news is, they grow out of it

19-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Thanks guys I can't help but pull away cos its a shock. I will try the distract approach n hopefully that will help. Such a learning curve having,never had cats before!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
19-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

I must admit, harris does that to us has done since he was a kitten but he wont do it with anyone else except OH and I. He grabs our hand with his paws and kicks his back paws off our hands whilst nibbling us but as soon as we say "gentle" he backs off and just licks us.

20-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

Yea that's how ruby starts with just licking then next thong she's grabbed you lol.