Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
18-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

New additions

Hi everyone, well after waiting for what felt like forever we were today finally able to bring home our two new babies. Brother and sister blue colour point ragdolls, Ernesto and Luna. 8 weeks old tomorrow And just gorgeous!

It was a two hour car journey back home and they were both in the cat carrier throughout this time, both did lots of meowing at first, with Ernesto being the more vocal of the pair!!

Since home they've stayed in my eldests sons bedroom, they played, eaten, used litter tray and slept (so far so good). My other cat Tinkerbelle (10 months) is naturally a tad unsettled/narked/curious about the noisy little creatures in Ciaran's bedroom, so I opened the door earlier and she sat in the door way tail swishing, hairs on end and kept making this weird growl sound. it didn't bother Luna who snuggled into my son (who was in bed) and they slept through it. Ernesto however appears to be braver and he stood at other side of room and did the same back to Tinkerbelle. It went on for 15 minutes! And noises are quite haunting, like they come from within!!!

Anyway, anyone got any advice, tips or experience of this? I've swapped bedding and tried to give treats when all in same room but no one gave them a second sniff! I know it's early days like but still open to ideas!

X

Ps will post pictures tomorrow x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
18-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #2

Re: New additions

how exciting to get them home!! looking forward to the pics!

im afraid i failed at intros! my mums grumpy lady cant stand to be in the same room as my boy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #3

Can't wait for the photos!

Just take it slowly - there shouldn't be much problem considering their ages. Swapping bedding is a good idea, as is grooming them with the same cloth, swapping scents. Good luck!

Catsey Junior

19-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

UPDATE... Tinkerbelle is seriously put out, I can't work out if she's scared and unsure or furious! My dad came earlier and Tinkerbelle hissed at him, this is completely out of character and especially towards my dad who she normally makes a beeline for. She won't accept any treats not even sardines or chicken.

I'm trying to put it into perspective- it's only been 24 hours but still worrying if it will resolve!x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
20-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Tinkerbell is probably just very cheesed off right now! My advice would be to make sure that you give her lots of fuss, especialy if she has been the only cat in the house. I've never had to introduce new kittens, always adult cats, but since our recent addition, it has taken four weeks for everything to settle back down to something near normal, so don't start getting too worried just yet. x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
20-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #6

It took my cats about a month to get used to each other.
I bought a Feliway plug in and it seemed to help them a lot!

Catsey Junior

20-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #7

Well when I'm in the room with the Ernesto and Luna I've been leaving the door ajar and Tinkerbelle has started sitting in the doorway, still growling a bit and attempting to stare the kittens out but they get bored and either fall asleep during the stand off or go and play! So essentially she sits in the same room and I think (hope/pray) she is beginning to relax!!

Also I think I'll get the Feliway plug too, thanks for the suggestion xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #8

She's probably jealous .... don't forget to give her loads of cuddles, shame she won't take the treats. I think that shows just how miffed she is. Early days.

Catsey Junior

20-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #9

Yes she's getting spoilt with snuggled and still sleeps pride of place at the end of our bed! (she didn't the first night they came home mind, she avoided upstairs completely)

She has been having some treats this morning, so that's good. I keep trying to leave treats for her in the kitten room and try and give her some then but she still won't even sniff them!x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #10

Congratulations on your new babies,hope things settle down,it is very early days. Some great advice here.
I have seen multi cat households were the cats appear to like each other but from what I understand cats are loners rather than pack animals. We used to have two brothers who tolerated each other but I wouldn't have described them as friends.