Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 1 x BSH and 2 x Burmese crosses
24-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

A bit of guidance please....

Hi Everyone

I am new here and have 2 cats, Brother and Sister Burmese crosses. They are called Frodo and Layla and are now 10 years old.

I have had them both since kittens and have never had any problems behavioural or health wise (touch wood) until recently with my boy. I am very concious that they are heading into their twilight years and would be very greatful for any hints or tips that people can give to keep them in tip top shape enjoying the comforts of life.

Frodo is a large lad (a big cat rather than too portly) He weighs in a 5.8kg. He has started missing his litter tray, the same one he has been using now for several years....also a large one.

I already took him to the vets in case it was a medical issue and we are treating for a UTI and monitoring the situation, apparently he seems in very good health. he also now has a new tray, in the form of an 8 inch deep storage box, in case the issue is that all of a sudden he has forgotten how big he is and how to wee in the tray. Im hoping to contain it a bit better and give him some extra room.

The litter we currently use is Catsan.....but with this new tray will be going through it at a rate of knots. Are there any hidden gems that I have not heard of that are as good as Catsan but with a lower price tag?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Alexa, Frodo and Layla

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

Re: A bit of guidance please....

Hi Alexa ............. sorry to hear about Frodo and his problems. I know it's expensive but with his current problems I wouldn't try changing the litter just now. Hopefully once the UTI has cleared, he will get back to appropriate use of his litter tray and then if you still want to change the litter do it then. This is just my opinion however.

Cats owned: 1 x BSH and 2 x Burmese crosses
25-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Hi Angie

Thanks for your response.

Dont worry I wont be changing the litter any time in the immediate future, I still have 2 x 20 ltr bags of the Catsan we use now to go through. I ask the question now about recommended litters so that I can plan ahead for when it is a better time to change if I still need to.

Thanks again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Ah, glad to hear that Alexa!

My two are generally outdoor cats, but when Pip was a kitten before he had his op or last winter when the ground was frozen I found Cats' Best was a good litter. It clumps, so you can just remove the lumps and faeces and it is flushable (depending on your area's sewage disposal - something to do with filtration). The rest of the litter when you need to change the whole tray is compostable as it is made from corn husk.

This is it: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/c...ats_best/14001