Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #1

Berries on holly...harsh winter?

Anyone recall the old wives tale that a bountiful supply of berries means a harsh winter? well has anyone noticed the amount of berries this year last year the holly was right berries and a harsh winter.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
22-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #2

Re: Berries on holly...harsh winter?

noooooo lets all mooove to a warm country!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #3

No hollies where I am now, nor acorns so can't hazard a guess as to the harshness of the coming Winter .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
22-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

I was told the squirrels started collecting their nuts a full month earlier than usual... On the other hand, snow half way through Oct... Well, apart from a patch of hail earlier on in the month, not so far...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

That's what I think Kazz, holly berries, yew berries, hawthorn - all plentiful this year. Make sure you have thermal undies and warm socks handy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
22-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #6

Doesn't it just mean that the conditions were good earlier in the year for the flowering and berry development?

Our hollies have loads of berries this year but then they always do, the yew however is not berrying so well this year. None of them last long enough to feed the birds during the Winter anyway, they'll all be stripped off the branches as soon as the first frosts strike and there won't be any at all by Christmas

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

Well, yes that's true MrsH - certainly in the case of the bumper apple harvest this year, I know growers have said that the conditions were perfect earlier in the year.

But I guess all the berries would go before Winter shrivelled them up - the animals and birds make the most of the food source while it's available to lay up body fat to see them through the hard days. Much like our ancestors did and then had a feast around Xmas/New Year hopefully to keep them going until Spring.

Think Spring everyone.