Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
21-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #1

Willow my English Mastiff.

My Willow recently had a urine infection which cleared up almost immediately with antibiotics.. My vet is now pushing me to have her speyed. Willow came to me at age 2-3, a terribly abused and terrified dog. She remains very nervous and aggressive with strangers but has bonded to me closely. She is never outside alone and there is no chance of her coming into contact with a male dog.I did not have her speyed when I got her simply because she was so traumatised. She is now just over 6 years old which is getting on for a mastiff. I'm wondering if it is worth putting her through an operation. Cost is not an issue as she is fully insured. It's just that I can't see the point of speying her at this late stage, and putting her through a terrifying procedure. Just getting her in to the vet's rooms is impossible in itself, as she has to be muzzled and then sedated and wheeled in on a trolley.Has anyone had an older dog speyed? If Willow has more urine infections, then I may have to get her speyed ,but she's only ever had one.Any suggestions about what to do ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
22-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #2

Re: Willow my English Mastiff.

Barney was neutered at the age of 6 just before we got him almost 2 years ago, which i fully understand as he was from the SSPCA but i feel it contributed to a few of the issues he had to start with due to some research i did.

I think it should be your choice but if it stresses her out so much going to the vet then i would be thinking is it worth the stress on her? I fully support speying/neutering a dog but when they are younger.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
22-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #3

I agree with Pamela. I support neutering, especially females but also I agree with you Dinky. Is it worth the stress if not absolutely necessary. All our cats are neutered but only one bitch. We are going to have the dog neutered rather than the other 2 bitches speyed.

Is it possible to give her something to calm her before going to the vets. I have used ACPs in the past to calm dogs and cats.

Personally I would see if the infection re-occurs and then make a decision. My oldest cat, Fecto, gets very stressed going to the vets. He has a bit of a sniffle at the moment but I don't think its worth a vet visit as it makes him even more poorly. I totally understand about Willow, I think she's been through enough and, like you say, she doesn't need to be neutered unless its for medical reasons which haven't arisen yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
22-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

I am usually very pro-neuter, but each case has to be looked as an individual and personally, unless there is a medical reason, it does seem unfair to put her through the unnecessary stress at her age and of course any op carries a risk. You know your dog better than anyone and so go with your gut feeling.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

sorry to hear about Willows infection and glad it has cleared up.
I think it is good advice to wait to see if she gets more infections before making a decision.
You could also do your own research

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
23-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

I've never had a dog but my elderly cat Beauty was spayed at what the charity were told was the age of 8 but we all think she was older than that, she was always a nervous wreck in the vets and unfortunately she got a tumour years ago that caused us to have her put to sleep, we all believed at the time that her tumour was caused by the fact she wasn't spayed until she was already old, an unspayed dog or cat can get pyometra (sp), which is very nasty. Basically the womb fills with pus and it can end up killing the dog or cat - whatever you do, please be aware of this.

http://www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/d...metra-in-dogs/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-03-2015, 11:10 PM   #7

It's a tricky issue, and like the others I am a big believer in spay/neuter - both dogs and all my cats past and present have been done but I also support your right to make the best decision you can for your dog and take her individual circumstances into account.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
24-03-2015, 12:29 AM   #8

Just a thought Dinky, is there something you could incorporate into Willow's diet to prevent infection? I know there are things for humans. My Mum is very prone to cystitis and drinks cranberry juice. Is there a dog equivalent?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
25-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #9

What reason did the vet give you for wanting to spay her?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
26-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #10

Thanks for all your helpful replies. My vet wants to spey Willow to get rid of all unnecessary bits and pieces, as she puts it.I have thought it over and have decided to wait and see if Will gets any more urine infections . if so ,then she will have to be speyed, but if not, then I'll leave her alone. She is perfectly happy the way she is now, or at least as happy as Willow could ever be. She remains extremely anxious and bites herself until she bleeds and constantly licks everything. My bed cover is always sopping wet. Poor Willow was tortured by the morons that previously owned her and she lives in constant fear.She is always with me when I am at home and is my daughter's shadow when I am at work.I really feel that she is better not speyed unless it becomes necessary for medical reasons. I will look into some natural supplement to prevent urine infections and take it from there. Thanks for all your helpful advice everyone. I do appreciate it.