Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #11

Re: Tomatoes - esp. for Dandysmom

What a beauty it is, largest cherry tomato I've ever seen! I don't grow the beefsteak varieties, prefer medium sized. Ailsa Craig didn't do well the year I tried it; I like Marmande or Rutgers. Seed growing gives you the choice of varieties you want, not what's available commercially.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #12

Ailsa Craig was the commercial variety back in the 60s/70s when I started work in agricultural research, before Moneymaker and I certainly wouldn't grow it for taste - but it was used in plant breeding way back then, so may well be in the genetic makeup of more modern tastier varieties.

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #13

Steph (remember him? I miss him!) discouraged me from trying Ailsa Craig, but did I listen to the voice of experience.....? No. And he was right. Rutgers, the variety I used was developed right here in the University of Maryland's Agriculture Department in the late 30s, early 40s I think; our next doors neighbors SIL worked there and we got free seedlings. It's hard to find now, but very tasty, real tomato flavor, and adapted perfectly to this climate.

Oh, forgot to say Steph spoke very harshly of Moneymaker!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #14

I quite agree about Moneymaker too! It was in the days when quantity not quality was the prime consideration.

Give me good little Gardeners' Delight for flavour!

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #15

Have you tried Marmande or Super Marmande? And a Greek variety that's difficult to find but excellent flavor - Larissa.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #16

Tomato I would go out of my way for is the little Piccolino - oh my for flavour - I eat them like sweets - Marks & Spencers sell them. Might keep some of the seeds to try & grow them next year

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #17

Velvet, do you know how to do that? If not, there's a post on OFF on exactly that subject, I'd be glad to link it if you want.

My tomatoes weren't ripe when I moved on July 1st to the retirement complex so didn't get to try it myself....

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #18

Ooh no, you had to leave your toms behind?

My parents had a greenhouse which was handy for growing things.

Yes sure love to read the link on the OFF. Thank you for that. I don't do anything special, just save them in a envelope It would be good to know how to do it the right way

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #19

Oh yes, tomatoes, hot peppers, basil, scallions ... the garden is the only thing I really regret about moving; but it had just gotten too much for me; the right thing to do. Oh, if what you're doing works then you don't need any more info! But I'll look that up after dinner.... I'm headed to the kitchenette now to start it while I watch the 6 pm news.

Catsey Veteran

06-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Oh yes, tomatoes, hot peppers, basil, scallions ... the garden is the only thing I really regret about moving; but it had just gotten too much for me; the right thing to do. Oh, if what you're doing works then you don't need any more info! But I'll look that up after dinner.... I'm headed to the kitchenette now to start it while I watch the 6 pm news.
Thanks Eileen will look forward to reading about it