Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

For Eileen.....

Eileen as requested.
Garden almost complete

Back of the house

Dianthus

Ostephernums....Cape Daisies to you and me

In the trough

Hosta...back for another summer this time with copper tape round the pot.

Some tulips from the other week gone over now.

The rose a little early....but hey...

Hope they are to you liking Eileen not much to see yet but I thought I would give it a go. You need a hack of a lot of imagination to see past the basics.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #2

Re: For Eileen.....

Beautiful. thanks for posting for me! You really could moonlight as a landscaper, Kazz, that is a lovely garden! Why does the hosta need copper binding?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Your garden looks fabulous Karen. What a lot of hard work.
Does the copper tape keep slugs and snails away, if so i could do with some as our Hosta always starts off nice but then gets eaten.

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Beautiful. thanks for posting for me! You really could moonlight as a landscaper, Kazz, that is a lovely garden! Why does the hosta need copper binding?
Thank you Eileen I would not mind working in the moonlight.. ...seriously I do it for enjoyment not sure I Could "work" for someone. To strong willed.

Hosta's are a "baby leaf salad" for slugs and snails. I am hoping the copper tape will keep them off to some degree I have tried it on captive slug.......it worked he could not get past/over it and his reward was I took him into the park rather than the sudden salt death.

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
Your garden looks fabulous Karen. What a lot of hard work.
Does the copper tape keep slugs and snails away, if so i could do with some as our Hosta always starts off nice but then gets eaten.
#

Thank you and I am not sure how effective it will be but it did deter one slug......see above. It can't hurt in the war against them if you ask me. I can't use slug pellets due to the dog, but I do use beer traps and have been known to walk the gardne at night and after rain with salt in hand.

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #6

It's surprising to me, and I think I mentioned this before, how much more of a problem you have with slugs. My hostas are flourishing, never have a slug problem with them or any other plants. I occasionally see a slug trail in the morning, but a trail is about it! Count my blessings!

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

Slugs actualy turn my stomach. We sometimes get them in the kitchen early morning. If i have to pick them up in a tissue they make me heave. i'm afraid i find them disgusting

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #8

I agree, Shelley! Yucky things. I suppose they are a necessary part somewhere in the web of life, but .....ugh!!

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I agree, Shelley! Yucky things. I suppose they are a necessary part somewhere in the web of life, but .....ugh!!
I'm sure they must have some place (bird food ) ??, but i just can't find any redeeming features

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #10

I don't like slugs either - the only time my garden wasn't troubled with the blighters was when I had free range chickens - mind you, I didn't have much of a garden then either!

I tried the copper impregnated matting and found it useless - haven't tried the rings yet though.

Your garden looks very tidy and will keep neat and tidy. I am contemplating having everything out and just doing grass - Monty would approve of that. I have scared myself by looking at a very long list of poisonous plants!