Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
06-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Jamie Oliver - 30 minute meals

Hubby got me this cookery book for Christmas - just cooked one of the recipes, tasty crusted cod, my mashy peas, tartare sauce, and warm garden salad, the only thing i didn't make was the tartare sauce as I had some in the fridge..

Well it was totally delicious - hubby said if he was served it in a restaurant he would be very happy!!!

Has anybody else got the book?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

Re: Jamie Oliver - 30 minute meals

Yes Emma! My OH and I were impressed with the TV series and tried out a couple of the recipes and on that success we bought the book! Not tried anything else so far. I recommend his ragu sauce made with sausages - we've also successfully used that base for lasagne too.

Catsey Veteran

07-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip Angie, cooked the chicken and mustard sauce today it was really nice, hubby liked it more then the cod one, but I still preferred the cod. I am going to cook the wonky pasta tomorrow, really enjoying cooking these recipes....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #4

Hmmm I looked at that book but may have to reconsider it again with the reviews you have both given them. Part of my try a different choice of meal every week the book would be handy.

Catsey Veteran

08-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #5

They are easy to follow kazz and have loads of photos, I think there are 50 meals in the book and a good mixture , I really want to try the meatballs.

They do take longer than 30 mins to start off with, but I reckon the more times you cook them the quicker you would get, as I had to keep checking what I was going.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

Yes, I agree and of course you don't always have to made the whole meal. I think it would be an excellent book Kazz especially as you are trying your one new meal a week.

I am also sure that you could probably find a bargain somewhere!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

I have a lot of time for Jamie Oliver - he recipes and enthusiasm (and his restaurants) are great. Might have to pop out one lunchtime next week and get this book. I know there has been much hoo-haa in the press about the recipes taking longer than 30 minutes but really, is that SO important? Ease of understanding, readily available ingredients and tasty result are more important (IMO).

Catsey Veteran

08-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #8

So far the recipes I have done will only take 30 minutes once I have gotten used to what I am doing. The first time it will always take longer, and I don't really care even if they take longer.

Off to cook my wonky pasta in a min

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #9

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Well you have all convinced me I am going to buy the book, I have started to enjoy cooking as much as gardening, so a nice new "passion"

I agree Yola, I like Jamie Oliver’s passion and the fact he calls himself a "cook" not a chef. To me he is similar to Monty Don in his enthusiasm.[/font]

Catsey Veteran

08-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Wonky pasta was excellent!!! It was light, fresh and basily - very impressed, mine wasn't very wonky though as I used fresh taglatelli rather than cut up fresh lasagna sheets. Just the pasta dish alone would have taken less than 10 to do.

Going to have a look at the book now for a couple of meals next week, as I am cooking beef stifado for dinner tomorrow.

I hope Kazz and Yola you both get the book as it is really good.